Why exactly isn't the water safe here?

I think the big filters you install on your main that serve the whole house are best.

All I really want is about 5-10 gallons of distilled water though. A lot of money to spend just for that.

Chemical supply shops or places like shoppee or ruten can’t get distilled water?

1 Like

They’re like 100nt for a 1 liter bottle!

They sold distilled water at Walmart back in the states for like 25 cents a gallon.

https://shopee.tw/純水-Distilled-water-i.9268290.1469299059

ductile iron maybe? They are safe to drink out of. if just cast iron or steel then they rust eventually.

so overall the water here island wide is actually safe to drink directly out of the mains, its just the buildings that contaminate it? Is this correct?

How about those fill it yourself stands that do RO and UV sterilization?
Places with lots of migrant workers always have those.

1 Like

I’m not sure they’re pure enough. Good for drinking but I’m not sure if it has too much solid content.

Are you sure they put out pure water?

well taipei says the water is very safe to drink. So is it just best to assume that only taipei city has safe water while everywhere else doesnt?

As long as the filters are maintained and the membranes haven’t been exposed to chlorine they should be, but since you aren’t doing the maintenance nothing is for sure

Maybe you could borrow a tds meter from someone and check.

Wait…people drink water? :thinking:

Like I said I only need like 5-10 gallons of it. There’s a water filling station near me but I assume they’re only good for drinking water, not electrically nonconductive distilled water. That’s what I need. Last thing I need is to get zapped by 25kv because of some fault…

What is the max tds for your application?

1 Like

as close to zero as possible. Preferably no more than 5. I mean Walmart’s distilled water is around 1-3. At the price chem stores are selling them it would be cheaper for me to distill tap water by boiling it and collecting the condensates.

Back to the topic at hand, I just pass mine through brita filter and drink that. I probably change the filter seldom if at all, but I never got sick this way. I realize it’s just psychological though because Brita filter is just activated carbon and ion exchange resin.

You can easily buy distilled water in Taiwan, no? I’ve bought this before on Shopee for NT$25 per 500 mL, which I understand is less than you need, but I presume you could buy larger quantities if needed. The shop is one of the chemical stores on Tianshui Road called 城ㄧ化工 - I imagine you could just go in there and ask how much it is for larger volumes, since they also deal in bulk volumes of stuff.

RO won’t work for you then. I think it’s around 10ppm

As I said before, that price is too much. I could make it cheaper myself by boiling it and condensing it. At 25nt per half liter a 10 gallon bucket of it is going to cost about 4000nt. It’s a huge ripoff.

Can anyone tell me the TDS of bottled water sold at most grocery stores?

And as I said before, you can go into the store and ask them how much it costs for larger volumes. Or just contact the seller on Shopee, or check in one of the several other chemical stores nearby, whatever. You’re making this more complicated than it needs to be.

I’m pretty sure I remember seeing larger containers in the actual store - they’re presumably just not sold on Shopee because of the weight restrictions on convenience store deliveries and the fact that distilled water is a heavy, low-value item.

Or make it yourself then, if you prefer? :roll_eyes: Do you already have the still? What do you think the energy and water costs are for boiling and condensing 10 gallons of tap water? How much does it cost to replace your laser if/when it breaks?

1 Like

Also, your math is wrong, even if you’re not willing to ask for the bulk prices. 10 gallons (38 liters) at NT$50 a liter is NT$1900.