Why exactly isn't the water safe here?

I noticed in my sink/toilet eventually there will be a brown ring where the water drains off which I have to clean off every couple of weeks.

Presumably, after some googling that’s mainly iron, and I don’t fancy drinking that, so I always use bottled water.

How about for cooking though? Is it safe to use the tap water for things like pasta, gnocchi etc? Or should I use bottle for that too.

Cook with tap water.

Iron is actually good for you, so I don’t know why it’s so bad.

But if you got the money to cook with bottled water, more power to you.

But know that bottled water is just filtered tapwater, and in some cases (through independent testing), straight up tap water.

1 Like

Yea I usually use the tap water for things like pasta, but for soups etc I’d use bottled :face_with_monocle:
Just curious! Thanks

we found a couple of long-dead pigeons in our rooftop tank once. Thought the water tasted a bit off.

We went straight to an RO system after that.

3 Likes

I’m in Yilan though so I imagine the pipes are ancient

So has anyone tested the TDS content of bottled water sold here? I know they have water labeled as “pure water” but I want to be sure they are pure water…

Tds of pure water is zero “0”

A tds meter is a great tool to own( i like hanna tds made in mauratruis not china )

I worked at a water purification company In my past and ran a coral reef store for over 10 years( people trip on ro/di)

Water purification and safety is always a big topic, because there is alot of myths and poor information
(When a choice is there im pro Di only, RO is so waterfull)
When i came to taiwan and tested peoples water 7 years ago the water readings were average 28ppm
Which was about exact as seattle usa.
And seattle is known to have generally good city water.

Buy a meter. Yes in usa we checked aquafina alot.
Its bottled with a purity guarantee!!
And it tests dam near perfect always.

When working at the purification company back in the day french evian was the dirtiest shit(i mean far from pure) in a bottle we could find some reaching 300 ppm.

When i drink water and pay for it i want the cleanest
Purest , i want to pay to have it cleaned to the fullest( spring water never)

Also why is there a expiration on pure bottled water?
Cause ions are leached through plastic containers .
“0” meter readings dont last long , everything wants in.
Use a meter it will help alot with understanding.
Meters dont cover everything but its a good base line.
Is your meter working right? Air is a reference always 00 Haha

I don’t think I can afford a meter right now. No idea the cost. I just need to know for a brand of bottled water sold in Taiwan:

It claims to be RO purified and then boiled.

I know if I use this for laser it will probably not stay completely pure forever… especially with dust getting into the water and all that. But at least I want to be sure that should the water ever spill I don’t have to worry about getting zapped with 30kv of electricity. Right now I use tap water.

Um, that’s the whole point. It’s a mineral water and derives its taste and character from all those dissolved minerals. It’s meant to have a lot of dissolved solids and is sold as such:
it’s not a purified water.

5 Likes

Residents of the Pingtung Plain, Taiwan, use groundwater for drinking. However, monitoring results showed that a considerable portion of groundwater has an As concentration higher than the safe drinking water regulation of 10 μg/L. Considering residents of the Pingtung Plain continue to use groundwater for drinking, this study attempted to evaluate the exposure and health risk from drinking groundwater. The health risk from drinking groundwater was evaluated based on the hazard quotient (HQ) and target risk (TR) established by the US Environmental Protection Agency. The results showed that the 95th percentile of HQ exceeded 1 and TR was above the safe value of threshold value of 10-6.

1 Like

Ex -wife family in Taoyuan still have a well in their house, back near the toilets…

Just one of those regular 3-story row houses on a main road, shop downstairs.

can you imagine what is in the Taoyuan groundwater? they still use it when the dam levels fall and water is cut off, but they have wised up and don’t use it for cooking anymore.

4 Likes

Where :grin::joy:

We use a fixed water filter in our house. I’m thinking of sending some samples to a laboratory in order to determine if we need to upgrade or not. Our water comes from the local waterworks. I think using a filter is cheaper on the long run than a dispenser.

God only knows, there’s a pretty bad nuclear site for one thing, but the As in the Pingtung area is naturally occurring. It’s known for causing a “black foot” condition

1 Like

4 Likes

Any pharmacy well sell you distilled water for about 10.-NT per 500ml bottle.

And may sometimes contain a dead body as has actually happened

4 Likes

In Taoyuan?

I am aware of heaps of industrial contaminants, and what is likely the highest cancer rate in Taiwan—but the nuclear thing is news to me. Are you referring to research happening in Longtan?

Guy

Influenced by this article in Taiwan News, I’ve been drinking the tap water at my apartment (in Taipei’s Wenshan district) since I moved here in October and it’s been fine; I haven’t had any digestive issues / nausea.

2 Likes

Yes Longtan, there’s a storage site there which has had a number of incidents. The government has said all is well though :slight_smile: There’s been some discussion here

https://tw.forumosa.com/search?q=Longtan%20nuclear

1 Like