Why is gold valuable?

You know as far as metal goes, gold is actually kinda useless. I mean it doesn’t react or anything, but apart from looking good, it’s not all that useful. Gold is too soft to make anything useful, in fact they have to be alloyed to make them durable enough to use as coins or jewelry (because 24K gold would wear out really quickly if used as working coins or anything you wear). Gold is not really a good conductor at all (but it does not tarnish, so they coat electrical contacts with it). Except for some limited use, gold does not react with much at all nor does it catalyze things like platinum does.

And there are plenty of metals (plutonium and uranium for one) that costs much more per gram than gold.

So why is gold used as “money”?

1 Like

It has bling and substance, weight. Unlike crypto.

Try putting that in your pocket, or even in the house.

1 Like

Yeah it’s not right, all honesty not particularly rare now, governments own tons of the stuff.
Have to keep it valuable or world will be bankrupted?

Actually, until very recently steel was valuable too. It took a lot of labor to produce steel before industrialization, and as a result a suit of armor cost as much as a castle.

I mean I can see why ancient people thought gold was valuable because of its bling or whatever, but honestly these days, especially if we keep finding gold deposits, gold should become less and less valuable.

Because it’s shiny. And it doesn’t corrode. Which are the same thing, really.

2 Likes

Why are handmade guitars expensive?

If people stop buying gold it will drop in value. Next time buy a silver ring, oh wait, it will increase in price as more people buy more silver.

’ Gold is used as a contact metal in the electronics industry as it is a good conductor of both electricity and heat .’

1 Like

Most of the reasons you give for it being useless are actually the reasons it is useful. And it’s shiny shiny.

1 Like

Used extensively in electronics and medicine, and in jewelry to attract the opposite sex.

All metals tarnish.

You use nanograms of gold if used for that application…

All of the gold ever mined on earth would only fit in a cube 20x20x20 metres in size.

Just that. For 7 billion people.

2 Likes

That always boggles my mind. One Olympic-sized swimming pool or something.

1 Like

Sounds like something you’d find at Mar-A-Lago. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We have all the gold we need in the asteroid belt.

:roll_eyes:

Countries use gold as back-up against their debts. Just in case.

:roll_eyes:
Come the Zombie Apocalypse (or nuclear etc) try chomping down on a gold. lettuce, and tomato sandwich.

No thanks. These are tastier.

3 Likes

Gold is used most often to treat rheumatoid arthritis . It is sometimes also used to treat juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.’