Why is gold valuable?

Well in the old days they’re worth something too, as they are used to fertilize crops… Also stale urine is poured into soil to make saltpeter, which in turn makes gunpowder…

indeed.

So I suppose the mention that gold is not valuable is debunked by now.

Anything can be valuable if people, or something, prescribe value to it.

here’s some ground up dead body powder.

not sure the relevance to gold though.

Even your typos are valuable, they’re mined to be used in autocorrection algorithms.

1 Like

Make work programs exist in all shapes and sizes. if people will pay, they will come!

Also proof "AI"is smarter than we think. a solid half of my weird word mistakes are due to either Samsung or firefox repeatedly inserting the word even when I backspace and retype it. More make work projects to come :slight_smile: Glorious times we have.

Doubtful, as what would be the objective worth?

Gold can be made into jewelry or used in semiconductor chips.

1 Like

And there could easily be an almost infinite amount of dog shit , whereas gold has some limitation.
Like you say there is real value in Gold , and let’s not forget the abandoned Gold standard.
GGP , Gold, Guns and p.ssy
Or maybe should be GGP and Land , but it doesn’t rhyme like GG&P

1 Like

Explain nitrogen spikes then. More common than dog shit, but we decided it is worth more because a war :wink:

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Gold standard of life :slight_smile: The trick is convincing people to think they need it. Or scam people into it.

gold was worth 300 before, 2k later. gold didn’t change, peoples fear and.speculations did.

Dogshit can be made into jewelry

2 Likes

From a currency perspective, that’s a good thing. I’d guess if you look at it from a currency perspective, there’s very few choices that would’ve been suitable a few hundred - a few thousand years back. Has to be something you could work, not reactive, rare-ish, but not too rare.

beyond that:

rare-ish and looking good will give it value.

Beyond *that

gold is a good conductor. not the best, but pretty good. for practical use, non reactive and good conductor is good for electronics.

That’s quite an argument.

1 Like

I just read something akin to that. The future is good for gold and while China has a shit load of it, they don’t do all that much with it, if I’m recalling correctly.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1040365587/real-moose-poop-1-doo-doo-nugget-silver

Why is gold valuable?

Because people that have a lot control the value through middle men, traders.

Nitrogen. But the real brown gold, as far as logistics go, is human shit.

Seems my point above has been missed though :joy: Items that are not finite or limited are still quite valuable. Poop, alcohols, energy and so on. Just depends what people are willing to pay coupled with cost of manufacture and transport. Gold ain’t special, it’s just trusted.

Yeah, the book I read that in is Peter Zeihan’s new one. I’ll try and dig up the reference but that’s pretty close to what he said.

I buy gold and silver for my wife all the time—Taiwanese like it
DSC00471|666x500

1 Like

I always wondered if buying collectibles was worth the upfront cost. Most is sold later just to be melted down again.

Why this argument over Gold worth ? It is a rare metal, people invest more in rare metals when trust in paper currencies decease, just like silver. When more people buy Gold its price goes up. Mining for more gold is not as easy as printing paper money.

Not that it doesnt have worth. More that people should think about why it has worth. It has utility sure. It is finite, sure. so are many things, but they arent all valuable. The main point is if people decided they didn’t trust or like goal, it would become just another metal. People have to install a belief in something for it to hold value through tough times. No issue with gold per se. it is pretty and lasts a long time. But extrapolate all this to other commodities and we see how the human factor can so easily skew what worth and value really are. Essentially, it isnt hard to rig the game as long as people are willing to play.