Why is President Tsai never seen introducing any legislation?

Nice and tough are not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Yeah but remember her first government gigs were (IIRC) on the Mainland Affairs Council (dealing with you-know-who) then representing Taiwan in the WTO. She’s a negotiator first.

Guy

Personally, I think she’s nicer than Xi. As a self-centered big nose, I prefer the current arrangement to “one country, two systems.”

At least we don’t have incompetent systems like Afghanistan who is basically a US puppet who can’t govern for shit, and then takes all the money and flees when the US left.

The way the ROC ended up on Taiwan looks kind of similar to your description, except that, as far as I know, there was no significant US troop presence in China at the time:

David White, “Chiang Kai-Shek and the USA: Puppet and Puppeteer, but Which Was Which?” Open History website

1 Like

No they don’t. Those are totally different branches of government, and for good reason. Presidents can only sign off on or veto legislation, never introduce it. Legislative makes laws. Judiciary interprets laws. Executive enforces laws. This is Civics 101 stuff.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Who introduced Obamacare to Congressional committees before it was passed and signed?

From the website of the Legislative Yuan:

Legislative Yuan -Legislative Procedure

This is from a translation of Article 58 of the ROC Constitution, in pertinent part:

Constitution of the Republic of China (Taiwan) - Article Search/Content Search Result - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

This appears to link to the original Chinese version of Article 58:

中華民國憲法 條號查詢結果-全國法規資料庫

1 Like

In Germany, the airport police came after me for not having my mask on.

These are not considered a formal introduction. She can merely propose an idea…and parliament can take that, especially if it was a campaign promise, but formal legislation MUST be introduced in parliament.

1 Like

By the Executive Yuan.

I guess it’s possible for a person of fastidious standards to consider this descriptive language on the Legislative Yuan’s website to be informal, but isn’t the Constitution sufficiently formal?

(The two government sources linked immediately above were quoted and linked elsewhere in the thread.)

1 Like

Problem with reading any laws on a website is you have no idea how they’re interpreted and they can be interpreted as many ways as there are stars in the universe. You can read past cases to give you an idea how something will be interpreted, however Taiwan, like many civil law countries, cannot use past cases or precedents as arguments for current interpretation.

That’s true in a lot of situations, and I agree for the most part, but I think the Legislative Yuan’s explanation looks reliable (even though it’s in English, which, given the differences between the two languages, might knock off, maybe, three to five percentage points in terms of confidence):

https://www.ly.gov.tw/EngPages/Detail.aspx?nodeid=335&pid=43232

1 Like