Why not become a Taiwanese citizen?

So, that’s why you use your home country passport for travel as I said in point 5.

It’s not so fast turn around to renounce and get a new passport. My country doesn’t even have a trade office in Taiwan. The process is unclear. And I NEED to travel at short notice and regularly. Visas…Stuff like that can be difficult …With a NWOHR it’s not acceptable in all countries I heard. In the end I wasn’t that desperate for a passport to give up my (very good for Taiwan ) job. I didn’t like all the shit they threw at me to apply for the passport and ID. The process is terrible.

3 Likes

See the flowcharts here.

1. Apply for naturalization
  2. Apply for TARC (equivalent of ARC but for ROC nationals)
  3. Renounce original citizenship and receive certificate of loss of citizenship
  4. Apply for “定居證” (equivalent of APRC but for ROC nationals)
  5. Apply for HHR

I didn’t do anything on my 10 year mark and I still have the APRC. Entering and leaving the country all the time. Did I miss something?

No I was incorrect on that point.

1 Like

What @henkka01 says is

1. Apply for naturalization
  2. Apply for TARC (equivalent of ARC but for ROC nationals)
  3. Renounce original citizenship and receive certificate of loss of citizenship
  4. Resume your previous citizenship
  5. Apply for “定居證” (equivalent of APRC but for ROC nationals)
  6. Apply for HHR

If you’re from one of the countries where you can resume original citizenship without much hassle, then great. Most of us can’t.

2 Likes

Its not great either as you have travel restrictions and need to wait two more years for an ID in most cases.

• You have to do military service if you are a male under 36.
  • You cannot travel for an entire year, 3 months over 2 years or 6 months over 5 years.

I have been able to successfully get credit cards, bank accounts and phone numbers without any Taiwanese helping me out but it hasn’t been smooth. I think once you get your first credit card to create a credit record, things improve. But basically anything bank-related I have to show my credit cards around to prove that another financial institution decided to trust me.

On the pro side:

• Voting is important
  • Mortgage
  • Taiwanese passport is better than the POS third-world passport I currently have. So traveling would be a lot smoother.
1 Like

You don’t need to be a citizen to get a mortgage, but you will need a local cosigner/guarantor and/or local property as collateral.

It’s very difficult to get a personal loan without being a citizen .

My friends who have bought their homes all had to end up using their spouses name on everything. So you basically cannot get a mortgage under your name. Both short-term and long-term loans. It doesn’t matter how much money you have.

As for car loans, years ago were very difficult. Nowadays they seem to want to give car loans to anyone who has some form of credit.

I have Taiwanese friends who make less than 400k a year but get personal loans for 500k easily. That would be nice…

I have a thread on the discrimination foreigners face with the banks here. It’s very severe. My income is quite good , I’ve had a credit card for at least fifteen years , yet only one bank will even take my application for a personal loan at this time , the others didn’t even ask how much income or savings I had. A couple asked if I owned a house but still didn’t ask how much is my income. If you work at a limited list of companies they will also consider you, it’s a pretty bizarre ‘system’.

Currently I’m experimenting with getting loans online using new decentralised finance platforms on Ethereum. You just need cryptocurrency as collateral. You can get loans up to 75% of your collateral. I really want to say fucj you to the banks in Taiwan!

2 Likes

I’m a dual citizen with Italy and Canada. Do you know how many years that would take to restore both of those?

1 Like

Understand its extremely difficult, but we don’t have any examples here of someone getting one without those things? I don’t really want to buy a house here, but I might be interested in trying to get a mortgage without a co-signer or collateral…you know, for the good of future residents and for my own curiosity. Similar to what you are doing with the personal loan I think.

365 days resident in Canada (spread over two years), 16 months processing time and CAD 530. You only need to renounce one of the citizenships for the process, and I’ve made a guess that Canadian would be the easiest to get back.

1 Like

I think you need to renounce just one of your two citizenships to get a ROC nationality.

I find it hard to believe that they will sit there and just let me pick one and present it to them. Especially if the one doesn’t agree with my ARC.

If they don’t know about it they don’t care. That’s the way it works I guess in the ROC. You would renounce the one you reside in Taiwan with and then you travel on the other one. Usual bullshitty stuff.

They do. I had to show the Canadian passport for eligiblity to take a work permit for part time teaching.

But the other thing is, if they found out, or ask where my visa was etc… That might see that as application fraud and revoke my Taiwanese nationality. I’d rather this be a legal and clear way.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have used the Canadian passport at the time and kept quiet as I could have had my mother sponsor me back to Canada for a couple of years, but they were only offering 24 pages and I was easily gonna fill that one up as I wanted to travel, extensions, student visas, Chinese visas, etc… I only intended for a year or two in Taiwan to study Chinese. It’s been six. And that was Ma Ying Jeou time where you had to renounce first…etc… Things change, plans don’t always go as intended…etc… I never even entertained the idea until the DPP came back and started loosening up the rules again. By that point, I had already committed to the idea of Taiwan.

Not all countries allow you to renounce either… so what happens then? For example a Taiwanese citizen can’t renounce if they haven’t served in the military.