Why not become a Taiwanese citizen?

Looked through a few threads, and this on seemed the most relevant to ask in.

Going the spouse route (中華民國 內政部戶政司 全球資訊網 - 國籍申辦須知)

How long does the naturalization application step take?

Apply for Naturalization
(with more than 3
years of legal residence
and at least 183 days per
year from the day of
application)

What I mean is, when applying at the HHRO, how long does it take for them to then give you the naturalization certificate which you can then go and use to apply for the TARC? Obviously it’s different for everyone, but looking for a rough estimate. Are we talking days, or months?

Is there a maximum time they are allowed to take by law?

For me it took around 2 months. It may take longer in case you need provide any missing documents (i didn’t have to). I was using the link below to check the application status every now and then.

HHRO will give you a call once the naturalization certificate is ready to pick up.

PS. HHRO can help you apply for TARC directly.

2 Likes

First part not true. I know many foreigners that got a mortgages without a local cosigner/guarantor and/or local property as collateral. One Polish chap recently posted about how he did so on an FB forum. This has been covered in other threads going back to 2007 on forumosa.

Second part yes it’s difficult but not impossible. It’s difficult for the average citizen as well if they do not have a very high credit history.

Its not so difficult, many banks offered my wife a loan and she wasnt even employed at the time.

Good for her then. Easy peasy money.

Maybe, who would pay it back? :thinking:

Bank of Ireland, Taiwan Branch. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If you do not have ID card then no taiboazheng then you can still travel to China but you need to get a China issued travel document.

What’s the process for applying for it?

Is this yours or an image from google?

It varies slightly depending on the consulate/embassy you apply at.

An old friend left his 身份證 in Taiwan. He just showed his Taiwan passport and flight booking and wrote a long winded letter to have his issued at the Chinese consulate in Melbourne

You need to apply for it from a Chinese Embassy / Consulate in another country. Image is not from google but from a friend who naturalized and needed to travel to China before he got his ID card.

Is that really you Jimmy?

Haven’t seen you round these parts in better than a decade I reckon.

Thought you spent your time on Moronosa,

At any rate, if it is really you, a hearty welcome back mate is in order.

Mal

I just took an eleven year vacation.

Thanks for the welcome. :slight_smile:

PS My name has never been Jimmy.

4 Likes

People like to have pissing matches. The nonsense that you would not get a visa to visit the country you were born in the visit relatives you still have there, is just that. I got a visa to visit family and made several trips to my country of birth as a non resident. All the people I know who naturalized have been able to travel to their home countries. I do not know anyone who hasn’t. But unless they had a criminal record there would be no reason to be refused a visa.

Pros. Watch as people who make the choice not to naturalize complain about the things citizens get better access to. Some people do not intend to remain here they plan on leaving so citizenship here not worthwhile. So I’ve been a citizen here for over 2 decades. Has it been all bliss, more or less. If you went back 25 years ago having a business where you could be the company president meant you needed citizenship. There was no JFRV or APRC and even if there was I still would have renounced. I don’t have any intention to live elsewhere.

It would be nice if the government here allowed dual nationality but they don’t seem to care. It’s a take or or leave it. I could not resume or get a PR visa when I renounced. I made the decision in the 1990’s I wanted to live here and be able to do the things citizens can do.
For people who have dual citizen children here it doesn’t make a lot of difference.

Cons Lot’s of foreigners will troll you with comments like “you will never be accepted here” People still call you “waiguoren” or “Adoga”

When I renounced I could not resume nor get a PR visa for Australia. So yes those who renounce and do not have the ability to resume it is a tough choice. Also people complain about oh with a Taiwan passport you might need a visa. I laugh at that. Who does not need an esta for the USA or an ETA for Australia. It’s only the Philippines a visa is required. So later on as I could resume Australian citizenship I did so to save on visa fees. The Aussie passport is just a passport of convenience. If not traveling to Australia or Philippines it is not used for when I travel to other countries.

5 Likes

When i renounce I will be a ‘citizen of nowhere’ (depending on what you count as citizenship, I will be NWOHR which I count as citizenship but many don’t’) … yet have the right to work and reside in 3 countries and have access to travel documents of 2.

I also don’t intend on remaining here but I intend on coming back

1 Like

Isn’t the new law that you get citizenship first and have 1 year to renounce?

Yep… sorta.

You become NWOHR before renouncing and have 1 year to renounce.
However if you cannot renounce within a year for reasons not attributable to you, you will still keep your NWOHR status but will not be able to establish household registration until you renounce

If you are able to renounce within a year but don’t then you are stripped of your ROC nationalality

3 Likes

How does this two passport thing work? If, say, you use your Australian passport to visit Australia, do you use it to exit and re-enter Taiwan? Or do you mix-and-match? I really don’t know how this works, as airlines often ask to input passport details before a flight.

Guy

But you will be a Taiwan national with a TARC and work rights in Taiwan. Hopefully they drop this requirement I believe it is being discussed. Should be renounce and get HH and ID straight away. There are some other countries that have both National and Citizens, like the USA.

You will be in Australia so a permanent resident when you renounce as well. :slight_smile: You are using the system to your own advantage. Well played squire.

1 Like

I agree with you but it suits me not being able to establish HHR, it excuses me from military service :sweat_smile:

Taking advantage of whatever system you’re in is a life skill I believe I have down :joy: