Why *some* East Asians *might be* Racist Against Indians *sometimes*

First, a disclaimer: I don’t hold the views I’m about to describe. If you read my posts, it’s apparent I think Taiwan should attract more Indian talent. Second, these are only intermediate answers to the question in the subject line.

My dad said that in grad school, Indians driving ahead of him would stop abruptly to induce an accident and collect insurance payments.

I have a friend whose dad owns a Chinese takeout. He doesn’t like Indians because they are aggressive in asking for more condiments and free stuff.

Bobby Lee (the comedian) said that his parents hated how Indians would walk in a store, not buy anything, then walk out.

Notice these stereotypes (sneaky and cheap) are what people in the USA have of Asians in general.

2 Likes

1- Many East Asians look down on poor people. East Asians are cheap but rich. Indians are cheap but are not that well off atm, though that is changing fast.

2- Lots of East Asians look down on darker skins. Indians are the darkest Asians.

3 Likes

Tribalism is a part of the human condition, sometimes it manifests “racially”

2 Likes

The only Indians I knew owned a 711 gas station so the stereotypes have some truth :joy:

Really?
Indo-Aryan peoples - Wikipedia

Depends on your definition of “Asian”. In the UL for example they are called Asian.

If one switches the racial group in any of those, the stereotypes still work.

I think those people you know just arent very smart and/or very judgemental. Dont get them started on the hakka here, or the aboriginals :rofl:

People do tend to be quite racist. but even when race isnt an obvious excuse to belittle a group, we have other words to define them as shitty. political, national, religious, physical psychological. always a good way to call someone a peice of shit :slight_smile: My preference of judgement is actions, not skin tone.

1 Like

In my single days, I once dated an Ass Brahmin: Assamese Brahmin - Wikipedia

She was whiter than me. :clown_face: :laughing: :cowboy_hat_face:

Ironically, my father’s DIL is 1/2 light-skinned Indian from Fiji, 1/4 Korean 1/4 Japanese from Hawaii.

Asians arent racist towards color or skin. They are racist towards “status” and media has done a brilliant job to showcase to whole world that India is a country which is just filled with poor people living in slums and cherry on top all the other news about violence and bad behavior by indian men towards women and what not. As a result, if someone doesnt know anything about india or its people, unless that person have actual indian friends, that person will just believe that indians are cheap and poor people who eat curry all the time. As a result, they are target for racism quite often.

4 Likes

I had a friend who always introduced himself to Taiwanese as “===== from New York”, which I thought was strange- I don’t introduce myself as “Mike from Vancouver”. Then it dawned on me that, as a child of a Puerto Rican father and Pakistani mother, he wanted people he met in Taiwan to identify him as American, not one of those brown people from a backwards country.

Good retort from Indians being looked down on by Taiwanese: “Any Taiwanese spacecraft landed on the Moon lately?”

4 Likes

Wait…Taiwanese aren’t Asian?

2 Likes

As with most things like this, it’s a combination of correctly-perceived cultural flaws, jealousy, and plain old bigotry. I don’t think there’s anything remarkably different about the way East Asians perceive Indians, and the way Westerners perceive them.

There are reasons India looks the way it does, and it isn’t “colonialism”. India is a bizarre mixture of corrupt and dysfunctional value-systems, and a very strong work ethic. These are to a certain extent intertwined. When they immigrate to other countries, Indians tend to retain their cultural values and build little Indian communities, and they often thrive in their own unique way. In the UK, for example, vast swathes of commercial and residential property are owned by Indian or Pakistani immigrants, and they’ve managed that because they’re savvy with money, value the acquisition of skills and knowledge, and have tight-knit families who help each other with business endeavours. This inspires jealousy, because British people mostly do not have those skills or attitudes. At the same time, a lot of dysfunctional crap persists - somewhat more among Muslims than Hindus - and that inspires mistrust.

The rest of it is just “they’re not like us and eat funny food and talk funny”.

4 Likes

All humans have some manifestation of racism based on skin color, especially Asians. The preference for white skin and the poor treatment of southeast Asians is not a coincidence.

In my education experience, I went to a very diverse school in the US where most of the students were foreigners from over 100 different countries. There were so many stereotypes that every group had against each other that I lost track. These stereotypes came out during group projects when we all had to pair up.

For Indians, they were considered articulate/smooth talkers but low on substance and hard work.

Mainland Chinese had the worst reputation of generally plagiarizing and cheating plus poor English ability and not integrating with other groups. I found myself guilty of double checking work that was handed in for fear of turning something in that was potentially plagiarized.

White Americans and Latinos were considered as more focused on partying and socializing.

1 Like

Yes they are racist towards color but its not just color . Its a mix of color+status. For example, many asians think black people are dangerous and yet when Dwight Howard came, he was treated like a celebrity. Because he is rich and has status

So taiwanese could be racist towardscolor sure. Every taiwanese i have met asked me “How come you are indian and not brown” . really EVERY taiwanese have asked me. but they are also racist towards poor and many still have this notion that “white people are rich and brown are poor”

1 Like

And why would that ever be a problem? You don’t sell what I need, l walk out without buying anything. I do that all the time.

3 Likes

He also needs to meet the people who go to IKEA just to sit on sofas all day and then go back home

Don’t get us started on the Germans… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well they started it :wink:

1 Like