Why Taiwan does not matter

businessweek.com/magazine/co … 933011.htm

Good story here. Maybe economics will trump politics?

But obviously, nobody much cares to comment here. 75 hits and not one comment. Obviously, Taiwan does not matter…

MONEY QUOTE HERE: Taiwan clearly has lots to worry about, but it’s also renowned for its resilience. Intel’s John Antone compares Taiwan to long-distance runners who are being challenged but who are still in the lead. “As long as they’re committed to run very aggressively,” he says, “I don’t see anyone catching them.” Competitors be warned: Taiwan will do everything it can to stay in the race.

COVER HERE:

businessweek.com/magazine/co … 933012.htm

I will offer a comment:

I think the author of the BusinessWeek article is very naive when he says that economics will trump politics.

Politics are very important.

That being said, of course, economics are very important as well.

The problem is that Taiwan’s economic base is slowly being eroded away because of its lack of good political governance.

(I hope that makes sense … )

Maybe some of the National Assembly members will be able to offer a solution to this difficult issue. I am hoping so.

[quote=“Cola”]http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_20/b3933011.htm

Good story here. Maybe economics will trump politics?

But obviously, nobody much cares to comment here. 75 hits and not one comment. Obviously, Taiwan does not matter…

MONEY QUOTE HERE: Taiwan clearly has lots to worry about, but it’s also renowned for its resilience. Intel’s John Antone compares Taiwan to long-distance runners who are being challenged but who are still in the lead. “As long as they’re committed to run very aggressively,” he says, “I don’t see anyone catching them.” Competitors be warned: Taiwan will do everything it can to stay in the race.

COVER HERE:

businessweek.com/magazine/co … 933012.htm[/quote]

I saw your post but didn’t reply because I thought you were flame baiting. Your edit: "But obviously, nobody much cares to comment here. 75 hits and not one comment. Obviously, Taiwan does not matter…" doubly proves your intentions.

Anyway the people of Taiwan are very passionate about politics and come out in huge droves to vote. I agree with Hartzell but to a larger degree; to say otherwise is beyond naive, its plain idiocy.

Finally a few years back my uncle was interviewed in Wired magazine. He’s one of the Taiwanese businessmen who own factories in Guangdong. In the final paragraph of the article he states that push comes to shove he knows that everything in China is temporary and that he’d close up shop and fly back to Taiwan to fight if war were imminent.

Despite the article he still enjoys massive tax breaks because the government of China wants money above Taiwan. So yes essentially to the government of China, “Taiwan does not matter…”, only its money.