Why white collar westerners shouldn't work in Taiwan or for Taiwanese companies?

If there was a big military base, there would be an American town.

If only…sigh…

5000 years in the mainland supposedly…

Taiwan society is very conservative but it’s not as conservative as Islamic countries for sure.

Gated white communities in South Africa say hi.

2 Likes

Roppongi in Tokyo, and Itaewon in Seoul, could both be classified as “America towns.”

Gated communities arent just white in SA.
Also the US and Asia are full of gated communities.

Used to be, not now…

1 Like

Been a while since I’ve been to both places. Are they getting gentrified? That’s a shame.

This is what parts of Roppongi look like nowadays, via Genki Sudo’s “Missing Beauty”:

Guy

That’s true…now that you mentioned…the only difference I guess is that they don’t tag their communities with a particular name. Well, in my view, the author’s problem is unsolvable. On another note, blue collar westerners SHOULD come to Taiwan, not as labor, but as entrepreneurs…I think here lies a niche opportunity for them…

Ain’t that the truth. All my blue collar friends who never went to college started their own construction businesses or went into other entrepreneurial endeavors. They make more money than me and I have a Masters.

They really need to explain options to people better. People seem to think you need to go to a Ivy League school or you’re going to be a broke loser. Not true, you can go to community college if you don’t have the money or grades and they usually let you automatically transfer into a good state school. There are many trade schools that will teach you skills always in demand and you have a chance of starting your own business in that trade. Schools don’t break down the economics of things. I really think a lot of kids didn’t give themselves a chance because no one properly explained the options to them.

It’s because baby-boomers didn’t understand the changing landscape when their children were coming of age. For baby-boomers it WAS all about how good your school was, who could get the most high-profile job in finance or law, etc. But then the financial crisis hit and all these kids graduated good schools with worthless degrees because the huge firms weren’t hiring anymore and while the economy has come back since then, the salad days for those kind of jobs are still over.

Meanwhile, the blue-collar jobs are more recession proof and some have become very successful starting their own company, being their own boss, and they didn’t need any higher degree to get there.

1 Like

Some white collar jobs don’t pay well in Taiwan. I think people should only move here if they really like living here.

Disclaimer I haven’t read this thread. The opinions expressed by me are not those of everybody but they should be.

1. If you’re here teaching you really have no complaint about anything, I mean let’s be honest if have you had the credentials and the resume you wouldn’t be teaching in Taiwan.
  2. If you’re a white collar guy…gal working here you should be making nice shitload of money otherwise why are you here?
    If you have a fetish for Taiwanese girls or guys that makes more sense.
  3. I know I will get a lot of flack for this it’s okay but most expats I meet here just seemed like the kind of people that can’t make it in their own country. HATE ME OK
    I own real estate here and have for many years.
    And yes I have a fetish for Asian but at least I can admit it.
    So I’m confused by the fact that so many people move here and complain about this paradise with shitty jobs and living standards that they claim to be substandard.
    Honestly if your country Homeland Hometown is so great why did you move here for such a substandard job.
1 Like

P.S. I never found the living conditions here substandard but I was willing to pay for it.

https://youtu.be/pkcJEvMcnEg

Lol these posts ^

I take it you mention the fetish thing because you’re not from the U.S.

And also, Evanescence’s Lithium is better, just saying.

Your grandpa dying and handing it down to you doesn’t raise you above others. You’ve exposed yourself as a self-hating Taiwanese kid often enough.

3 Likes

Compared to the states it’s better here, but if you’re a rich guy the states are better anyways because not having public transportation or good roads or affordable healthcare isn’t an issue if you have loads of money…

1 Like