Why white collar westerners shouldn't work in Taiwan or for Taiwanese companies?

probably from some semi third world country?

most of those white collar jobs dont even pay as much as unemployment does…

Well the average pay is for 40-50k/mth TWD so actually they do pay substabtially more than most Western unemployment benefit schemes.
Also it’s possible to apply for unemployment benefit as well in Taiwan.

Got linked to this thread from another thread… anyway just adding my confirmation of OP’s observations, I would not have believed this before I got here or when I first started working but I do now, sadly. I take some issue with putting the blame on Chinese culture and values, but otherwise I think it’s basically on point. I work in a university, which you would think would be more open to change, looking at things critically, encouraging independent thinking or whatever - but I’ve found that is not the case at all, the “university” image is just a facade (caveat is that I don’t teach at TaiDa or Academia Sinica… I know that there is some good stuff coming out of there and yes occasionally from other places). Extremely hierarchical, suffocating of any new or different ideas. It’s not a bad place for academics who are retiring and just want to coast - Taiwan does recruit some from abroad so they can post their credentials on their websites, some come to retire, others often don’t even move to Taiwan or they come a few months a year so have no idea what goes on here. 100% would not recommend! I wish I had known about this before.

Taiwanese universities are not known for being forward thinking. If anything it is a stronghold of social culture, and therefore they are more traditional than any other institutions, including governments. If you want forward thinking in Taiwan, look for artists, not universities or any schools. This is not the USA.

2 Likes