Wikipedia's descrip of pinyin situation in Taiwan

I was reading on Wiki’s Taiwan page (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan), and it had this description of the romanization situation in Taiwan:

This seems to imply Tongyong is now used extensively almost everywhere except Taipei, but is it really that ubiquitous now? I’m in Taipei, and don’t know the situation in other cities and towns nationwide… Do most towns all over still use their chaotic mix of Wade-Giles and sui2bian4, with Tongyong really mostly applied only for national highway signs etc.? Does anyone have a good feel for this? I’ve started a discussion on this here (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Taiwan) if you care to join.

Cheers! DB

You be the judge.

Thanks to Taibeiren for such a prompt and accurate rewrite of the Wiki section!!! :notworthy: :bravo:

Dragonbones
Yes, there are still many cities using strange, chaotic pronuciations
I feel sorry for the foreigner in Taiwan. But i don’t they are going change this situation.
and in my opinion, that "Tongyong Pinyin " Isn’t “Tongyong” (useful) at all!!(我都叫它為「不通用拼音」
even my professer said stoping using it!

[quote=“antonioprincess”]Dragonbones
Yes, there are still many cities using strange, chaotic pronuciations
I feel sorry for the foreigner in Taiwan. But I don’t they are going change this situation.
and in my opinion, that "Tongyong Pinyin " Isn’t “Tongyong” (useful) at all!!(我都叫它為「不通用拼音」
even my professer said stoping using it![/quote]
Three cheers for your professor!

Tongyong should be eliminated from the face of the earth.

Even that old misinformation on Wikipedia was better than this excerpt from a just-released document by the U.S. State Department: “In 2002, Taiwan authorities announced adoption of the pinyin system also used on the Mainland to replace the Wade-Giles system.”

Way, way off.

I’ve already written them about this.

:noway:
But then again, this is the Bush State Dept. What do you expect, except