Wild animals you have seen in Taiwan

Hammerhead sharks

White tip Reef sharks

Blacktip Reef sharks

[quote=ā€œMJBā€]Hammerhead sharks

White tip Reef sharks

Blacktip Reef sharks[/quote]
Never seen Hammerheads here, but I have seen white tip and black tip reef sharks.
Where did you see hammerheads?

They hang out around Orchid Island, where the sea floor drops away to about a million miles deep.

Thereā€™s also an annual(?) migration of hammerheads, during which time they swim past Orchid Island in their hundreds.

[quote=ā€œMucha Manā€]They seem to be everywhere these days. Hear them, but I rarely see them as they like forested cover.

NS, what interesting sea life have you seen in Taiwan? Ever seen a shark?[/quote]Havenā€™t seen any sharks, yet. However, there is a resident green sea turtle we often see at one of our breaks. Unfortunately, the other day I found a freshly butchered green sea turtle shell where we usually see him hang out, and we havenā€™t seen him since. :bluemad:

Oh, a few years ago a large dolphin or small whale got caught in the some heavy currents and got stranded on the beach at Bashaiwan after being smashed against the reef. Some friends and I stayed in the water keeping itā€™s blow hole above the water so it wouldnā€™t drown until some ocean activists showed up. They brought a truck to transport it to Fugi Harbor and a subsequent boat ride out to sea where it was released in deep water. Iā€™ve got photos and a video of it somewhere. Anybody want me to look for it and post it?

Hell, yeah!

I saw hammerheads ā€“ a LOT of 'em ā€“ within snorkeling distance of Green Island a long time ago.
Today I caught two moles and a very large land tortoise on the hill behind my house. Very cool.

[quote=ā€œice ravenā€]They hang out around Orchid Island, where the sea floor drops away to about a million miles deep.

Thereā€™s also an annual(?) migration of hammerheads, during which time they swim past Orchid Island in their hundreds.[/quote]
Awesome, Iā€™ll keep that in mind. Would love to see that.

On October 19, 2007 a large dolphin or small whale got caught in the some heavy currents and got stranded on the beach at Bashaiwan after being smashed against the reef. Some friends and I stayed in the water keeping itā€™s blow hole above the water so it wouldnā€™t drown until some ocean activists showed up. They brought a truck to transport it to Fugi Harbor and a subsequent boat ride out to sea where it was released in deep water. Here are some captures I made from one of my video clips. Does anyone know exactly what species of mammal this is?

Cool pics!

Very odd nose, that. Almost looks whale-likeā€¦

Wowā€¦ perhaps a Pygmy Killer Whale? If so, youā€™re luckyā€¦ itā€™s quite rare.

Iā€™m guessing that it must be one of these species of whale.

Dwarf Sperm Whale (Kogia sima)

Pygmy Sperm Whale (Kogia breviceps)

Good job saving the little guy !!! Kudos !

Could be Rissoā€™s Dolphin.

cms.int/reports/small_cetace ā€¦ riseus.htm

Thatā€™s cool you can see hammerheads off Orchid Islandā€¦do they school there or passing through. They like to congregate off seamounts sometimes for reproductionā€¦so I have heard. Itā€™s another example of stuff in Taiwan that is pretty much unknown to the locals and foreigners.

Fixed it for youā€¦

So after a month in Taiwan I have seen about 30 monkeys, a pheasant (mikado?), some other birds, and lots of cats and dogs. And I heard a barking deer but didnā€™t see it.

I took these pictures and the video of the Mullerā€™s Barbet (äŗ”č‰²é³„)outside my bedroom window this afternoon. Beautiful bird, huh?

Lovely. They really seem to be everywhere these years, and in great numbers.

We also see the Formosan Blue Magpie (台ē£č—éµ²) in the forest around our home, too. In fact, my wife just told me that she saw one perched in our rubber tree right outside the bathroom window while she was showering this morning. Iā€™ll get the video camera set up for the next couple days and see if it comes back. Magnificent bird.

Yes the blue magpie is quite beautiful. I wish I had seen one and had the proper lens to take a photo.