Wild animals you have seen in Taiwan

Saw several of these – counted four around one flowering bush, but I am sure there were more – in the Paper Dome park, Tao-mi Village, Puli yesterday afternoon/early evening. They really look and behave like miniature humming birds, and thus the name: Hummingbird Moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) –

[quote=“Tazzie”]Saw several of these – counted four around one flowering bush, but I am sure there were more – in the Paper Dome park, Tao-mi Village, Puli yesterday afternoon/early evening. They really look and behave like miniature humming birds, and thus the name: Hummingbird Moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) –

[/quote]

I love those - I’ve been asking people here for years what they were, and all I’ve ever gotten was a shrug.

Did you take that picture yourself?

Lovely. Thanks for sharing. Overall, how is Tao-mi?

Saw my first Muller’s Barbet a couple of months back in Hsinchu County, it was indeed hiding in the trees.
I have seen the humming bird moth in Taichung also…they are huge! They really do look like a hummingbird, which is what I assumed it was the first time I’d seen one.

That really looks like an eye with a brown iris and a black pupil! But of course it can’t be: moths have compound eyes.

Amazing how they look and behave like hummingbirds. An example of convergent evolution.

They’re called hummingbird hawk moths. I love seeing them.

merge,

I am not that good of a photographer and didn’t have my camera with me anyway. I linked it from this Eastern European (Hungarian?) site: forum.net.hr/forums/p/231372/654 … eIndex=222
Note that the moth is widespread across EurAsia, but prefers warmer climates. The Chinese name for this moth is
後黃長喙天蛾
Info in Chinese from the Taiwan Museum of Natural History:
digimuse.nmns.edu.tw/DigiMuse/Ne … 01807b942e

Mucha Man,
Tao-mi is a nice day out from Taichung. We have friends visiting and decided to take them there. This was the first time I’ve been there during summer break, and it was quite busy with people, but in a festive sort of way. The only other time I have been there is on a week-day in April and there were only a few people in the Park Dome Memorial area.

For those that don’t know, here’s a bit about the Paper Dome, originally a temporary Catholic Church in Kobe erected after the terrible 1995 earthquake there, but later moved to Tao-mi, in 2006, and reconstructed there as part of a memorial for the 921 earthquake:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takatori_Catholic_Church
From the China Post (Sept, 2009) –
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … -Paper.htm

The Lotus blossoms were magnificent – absolutely the largest I have ever seen in my life. It’s a nice place to hang out for part of a day, I’d say.

Love the widdle whale…

A few of the snakes I’ve seen and photographed this year so far.

Maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I was having a coffee and cake at my favorite cafe in Edinburgh, on the open air terrace of the Gallery of Modern Art. Its a bit of a sun trap, and has lots of flowering shrubs.

One of those turned up and started feeding, and for a moment I thought (as did others) that it was a Hummingbird, perhaps escaped from the zoo aviary. Then it came closer and I realised what it was, except it couldnt be, because this was Scotland, and I didn’t think they even got to the South of England. (I looked it up when I got to a computer and the South of France seemed to be the closest bit of their “official” range at that time.)

Escape from an insectarium seemed somehow unlikely.

About 6 months later I heard “official” reports of them as new immigrants to Scotland. (They are now sometimes quoted as symptoms of climate change.)

First one I’d seen outdoors and would have been impressive anywhere, but it was astonishing there.

Actually, according to this wiki map, Scotland falls within their summer breeding range:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Distr … atarum.svg

They’re really fun creatures to discover, aren’t they? I had no idea the existed a few days ago.

Isn’t that always just such a shock of deep pleasure?

Since I started overnighting in the bush on longer hikes, I’ve seen a lot more wildlife than previously…A few examples:

Barking deer in the northern part of YangMingShan, along the Taipei County border with Ilan at numerous spots, in the hills behind Wuta and the hills behind Shuangxi. In the Chihben Forestry preserve. I’ve heard them in numerous other places. I think they’re making a bit of a comeback in North Taiwan.

Wild Pig. Here and there but not a common sight in Northern Taiwan. Most memorably for me was on the southern side of Feitsui Dam when two popped out from below a path and fled right past me. Another time was on a forestry road coming up from Taiping village into the Jade Mtn. National Park. There was some freshly cut grass in a pile and two wild piglets ran out from it into the bushes while I looked around expecting to see an angry mom.

Formosan Bear. Just once, on the path to Walami Cabin inland from Yuli. Saw it in profile,not too large, but lean and powerful as it stretched itself while looking under a rock and I beat a hasty retreat as it slowly turned its head toward me. Then, it moved off path downwards in the direction of the stream.

Flying Squirrel. Bumped into one and had a staring contest in the hills in back of ChingGuaShih.

Sambar Deer. At sea level in a couple of back valleys in Taidong County. Otherwise above 3000 meters like at BaTonguan or around JiaMing Lake.

As long as the forestry roads are allowed to deteriorate thus limiting hunters access to the hinterlands, there is a chance for future generations to see them in their natural environment.

I am sure I have heard the barking deer around Hsueh-shan, but none of the other animals you list here. I have never seen the deer. I would love to though. Are they hard to spot?

[quote=“Ducked”]Maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I was having a coffee and cake at my favorite cafe in Edinburgh, on the open air terrace of the Gallery of Modern Art. Its a bit of a sun trap, and has lots of flowering shrubs.

One of those turned up and started feeding, and for a moment I thought (as did others) that it was a Hummingbird, perhaps escaped from the zoo aviary. Then it came closer and I realised what it was, except it couldnt be, because this was Scotland, and I didn’t think they even got to the South of England. (I looked it up when I got to a computer and the South of France seemed to be the closest bit of their “official” range at that time.)

Escape from an insectarium seemed somehow unlikely.

About 6 months later I heard “official” reports of them as new immigrants to Scotland. (They are now sometimes quoted as symptoms of climate change.)

First one I’d seen outdoors and would have been impressive anywhere, but it was astonishing there.[/quote]
I’ve seen them in my parent’s garden up on Speyside. Not common, but they’re there.

Just saw this really cool moth so I might as well share it.

Beautiful shot, Antarcticbeech.

Tazzie - You’ll hear Barking Deer a lot more often than see them. They are very wary. Their barkscreech is audible from quite a distance. On the other hand with a bit of luck and if the wind is right and they are grazing, it’s possible to spend several entrancing minutes observing them. They are found up to around 2,000 meters. In Wuling Farm area, I saw them near TaoShan Waterfall on the path. Thing is to be somewhere that hasn’t been busy with people that day. Dusk is the perfect time.

Great picture of that moth, it’s really beautiful close-up, greens and browns just like a moss or lichen.

Couldn’t reach any closer.

Today I saw a Big-eyed Ratsnake, Ptyas dhumnades (again, identified courtesy of http://www.snakesoftaiwan.com/Ptyas%20dhumnades/species_ptyas_dhumnades.htm)

All I can is: man, these things can be fast!

Edit: and are always non-venomous! Sheesh.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]Couldn’t reach any closer.

That’s a pretty good shot! They are hard to photograph if you don’t have the right equipment – and luck and patience, etc.