Wild animals you have seen in Taiwan

GReat job on the civet cat defense !! TAiwan should haul off restauranteurs caught selling civets with stiff fines and jail time. That will stop people catching them. Also anyone caught catching protected wildlife should get a 5,000,000nt fine or have their possessions confiscated and face 5 years in jail. That will help stop this shit.

Taiwan has got fewer and fewer wild animals, they must be protected.

Sorry, no pix of the civetsā€¦as soon as I had the cam ready, they took off :frowning:

That blue-tailed skink is the juvenile version of the Elegant skink (Eumeces elegans). Pity they donā€™t keep that tail when they grow up. Itā€™s meant to divert attackers from the head.

Does the ji tong (乩ē«„) count?

[quote=ā€œJohn Yuā€]Does the ji tong (乩ē«„) count?[/quote]I donā€™t get it. How is this related to the thread topic ā€œWild animals you have seen in Taiwanā€? :loco: Either you posted this in the wrong thread, or you have made a ridiculous attempt at humor. :ohreally:

OK OKā€¦it wasnā€™t a very good joke.

Saw a good size Taiwan sambar deer buck this morning in Jiaoshi in the hills behind all the hot spring hotels. Still had antlers which I guess should be falling off soon? Didnā€™t seem worried about the dogs barking and just directly headed to where it wanted to go. Stopped a couple of times in open space to look back.

Great video on the Macaques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JshbKltWSVs

Donā€™t know why this man isnā€™t on Taiwanese TV shows.

Can see wild Macaque here any day in Kaohsiung. Illegal to feed them.

And wild cats here. Feeding is ok.

I saw that too occasionally in the mountains. Theyā€™re beautiful creatures.

Had a yellow-throated marten (not sure if it was a ā€œFormosanā€ one) run by within a few feet of us when we were in Taroko a few months ago. Tried to get a shot of it when I saw him/her again later down the trail.

1 Like

Those things are aggressive and not shy! Came back to my rental bicycle and there was one camped out in the tree above it. Every time I squatted down to unlock the bike, he would post up and show his teeth. All the while 2-3 more started to flank me. It was exactly where you posted the link!

Thereā€™s two troupes now in Maokong but quite shy. In Yangmingshan they are now quite indifferent to humans. Shamoa Shan is one location you can see them in.

Numbers of all kinds of animals seem to be increasing all over YMS. Iā€™ve seen wild boar and muntjac in the last year.

I saw this bird on my campus. It bobs its head when it walks like a chicken. Wtf is it?

imageimage

2 Likes

I think the guy with long hair wasā€¦sort of. :wink:

Isnā€™t he the one that was verbally assaulted on the MRT?

I think itā€™s the Malayan night heron. Have also seen it on campus and even in other city parks in Taipei.
If I remember correctly, students call it the useless bird or something like that, as it often just stands around, not doing anything.

Biggest wild animal I saw was this deer on Xueshan this summer. We looked at each other for a minute before it ran off.
DSC04772

3 Likes

Iā€™m convinced that they must taste horrible.

Its a defense mechanism. Taste rubbish and no one will eat you. Also have no discernible personality and no one will hassle you. (Taiwanese office worker defense mechanismā€¦:whistle:)

3 Likes

Where in Maokong?! And how do you know there are two troupes? I often go hiking in the hills above / around Maokong, but only saw a macaque once.

Iā€™ve seen a group of Macaques in two of my Shuiguanlu walks, which is right under PCCU. They are not afriad of people, but also do no approach. They hang around the trail down to the waterfall. Wonder if they are still there. The babies were cuddling the mom.

Thereā€™s a troupe that forages around the back of Zhinan temple all along the Houshan ridge. Theyā€™re quite shy but Iā€™ve seen them 3 or 4 times. I think thereā€™s other monkeys further round towards Jingmei past the top Gondola station as I have cyclist friends who have posted photos of them. But I havenā€™t seen those ones myself.