Wild animals you have seen in Taiwan

Not quite as vibrantly colored, but there was a massive squirrel thing - or god knows what - rustling about on my 5th floor balcony around 7am this morning. No idea how it got up there. I thought it was a huge rat at first and it made quite a noise as it jumped onto stuff. :flushed:

(This is the best photo I could get - didn’t want to open the window and risk having to deal with whatever the hell it was inside my apartment :grimacing:)

That’s a giant flying squirrel. I lived with one in my rafters for years.

2 Likes

Wow. Are they common in Taipei? I live in Zhongzheng near the Hakka park area. There’s a few trees around but wouldn’t have expected them to come inside people’s apartments!

1 Like

I lived next to the hills. Cyril would fly into the trees at dusk to get food and climb back up at about 5 am. They can fly a surprising distance. You wouldn’t normally find them downtown but numbers of every type of animal are rising since people stopped eating them.

When I came here 30 years ago even squirrels were rare on the ground.

1 Like

Yep.

Iguanas are native to North America. It’s likely a former pet.

Yes they can

They are a pest spreading all over Taiwan. I saw one recently in the deep mountains in Hsinchu, was quite shocked to be honest because I had thought they were still confined to the south. Even though it is a cool animal…It is going to damage Taiwan’s ecosystem. They are spreading faster and wider than anticipated.

1 Like

Oh boy. There are probably in the millions already here. Be careful what you wish for.

Doesn’t mean it’s right to do so.

They either die or they become invasive species.

I think theres a fine for releasing your pet willy nilly but it’s not that much from what I hear.

Also it’s even possible it’s bought by a Buddhist and released into the wild. This is very damaging to ecosystems. Because some Buddhist consider it good karma to release captive animals into the wild.

I didn’t say it was right to do so. I simply pointed out that yes they can survive in the wild…implying to the detriment of the local ecosystem.

2 Likes

Didn’t we have this discussion before?

1 Like

Is that a cat?

Raccoon

…Or even Baccoon.