Wild dogs in Kaohsiung. Can I call animal control?

I often see packs of wild dogs and cats running around Kaohsiung, which is fine until they disturb my sleep. Is it considered a social taboo to call animal control on wild dogs in Taiwan?

I live near NSYSU in Sizihwan in Kaohsiung, and when midnight comes around every night, these large packs of wild dogs will just start barking non-stop for hours in an otherwise quiet neighborhood.

Most houses in my neighborhood are single-family homes, but there are also a few apartment buildings with dozens of occupants each. All combined, there are hundreds of residents within earshot of these barking dogs. How is it that NONE of these hundreds of people have complained to animal control yet?

they used to just kill them. maybe others dont want to be responsible for that if it’s just some noise? Frankly, I say off the scooter and car owners with fart pipes first…

Not 100% sure, but I think they have stopped the killing campaigns in Taiwan sort of recently. Unless of course attacks happen. Perhaps someone will chime in.

Another embarrassing thing for Ktown is the vets lobbied the government to enforce the laws on tnr, specifically the release. so the volunteers doing tnr work have had to work in Pingtung and the fringes of kaohsiung county. It is quite a shame to be honest.

What’s tnr?

Sorry. Trap. Neuter. Release.

It is illegal to do the release part, and vets have asked various governments to crack down on the TNR programs. This leads to either more strays being born or more caged animals. some of the most horrific animal rights abuses are by the Buddhist rescue centers that house thousands of caged dogs and cats. they think they are doing good, but it is absolutely mind blowing horrific. I puked the first time I went to one. Not sure if it was from the sight or smell of it.

Aren’t they supposed to go to the pound? I mean… I assume these rescue centers are housing them so that people can adopt them, right?

the religious groups are private and the ones I have seen are both poorly run and illegal. but they are everywhere. In a way they are a type of pound, but largely not inspected and pretty grim.

the public pounds i think stopped killing them now, but I am not 100% sure.

Used to be the garbage trucks that dealt with them not all that long ago :face_vomiting:

Whereabouts (no need to be very specific) around NSYSU?
I go biking around the harbor, starting from Zuoying, and about the only thing I worry about are the stupid monkeys on the high road along the water-side as I ride toward the military post.

Yeah, they used to just kill them.
When, I first came here, it was heartbreaking to see.
The dog catcher approaching the dog like the Terminator, emotionless with these weird half hooked half looped metal sticks
It would go around the dogs neck or other part of the body.
The dog would whimper, go limp but to no avail. The dog would be dragged and flopped like a ragdoll into the back of the truck with no regard to the anmal’s feelings.
The attitude towards dogs have come along way. My father in-law did not like dogs much. He had a small house with a reasonable piece of land in the front, like a covered cement yard.
A stray made its home their and sort of adapted him and followed dad on his walks. The dog wouldn’t leave.
After a while, the gate would close at night with the dog on the inside and she was adapted.
Many schools in this semi rural areas adapt dogs by feeding them or stepping in when sick or injured.
There was a time when dogs were dinner…
Check out a movie “Pappa can you hear me sing”
Watch it from beginning to end. Every scene shows the Taiwan experience…
Don’t worry. Dog was saved by the adapted daughter.

They have been around the campus and beyond for like forever. I guess people just don’t care.

I was a student at NSYSU and I confirm what @HongKonger wrote that somehow they seem to appear at night. Usually between Gymnasium and Family Mart, occasionally climbing up the hill towards canteen and dorms.

1 Like

Well they didn’t do a very good job.

(Dark humor. Don’t take seriously.)

The dogs I hear are always hanging out just south of the tunnel entrance to campus. They don’t hang out in the streets, but up in the hills (I think). I live right across the marina in Hamasen, but can still hear them clearly even with my windows closed.

Funny enough, last night was the first time I’ve noticed they did not bark at all. I wonder if a fellow Forumosan saw my post and “took care of them” for me. :gun:

1 Like

I wonder if these are the same dogs I hear. I actually live just outside of campus in Hamasen, right across the marina from the tunnel entrance. The barks sound like they’re coming from the hills in the general direction of campus (the hill that the tunnel goes through).

How do you like that area? I think if I could choose any part of town to live that would be it

I love it, and I’d never consider living anywhere else in KH.

Nice view of the marina and Shoushan, a 5-minute walk to campus where I use the gym, 5-minute walk to the ferry to Cijin Island, 10-minute walk to Sizihwan beach, and 10-minute walk to Pier 2. In fact, I never cross to the other side of Love River unless I need to go to the mall.

I mean, it would be much nicer without the barking dogs, but I’d never get tired of this view:

2 Likes

Dream Mall is maybe an option for you

Yeah, sometimes I ride out that way for the view. One of my go-to rides for dates is down the coast on the other side of NSYSU

For me, access to the workplace is a factor. I seem to recall you’re WFH, lucky you

Anyways, hope those dogs get sorted humanely but promptly :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

And yeah, Dream Mall is my go-to. I take the light rail straight there, and I’m there in 20 minutes.

I do work from home, but when I need to get out of the house I usually bring my laptop to the second floor of Louisa Coffee at KW2. They have an open concept co-working space with nice views of the harbor.

1 Like