Will my education plan work?

Hello forumosans!

I plan to migrate to Taiwan after my high school but I have just realised that I may have a huge problem for my higher education since I am not proficient in Chinese language! I am an Overseas Chinese that have never involved with any Chinese language classes or school before so my education plan is:

1. Study Chinese and complete one undergraduate program in few years.
  2. Upon completion of the undergraduate program, go for TOFCL.
  3. Go for graduate program in Taiwan.

The biggest question is, can I apply for graduate program in Taiwan universities with a first/second honours degree certification and level 4/5 TOFCL certification? Aside from these certifications, I am aware of other requirements such as other personal qualities, personal achievements, recommendation letters, but that is not the biggest problem.

The issue I see is that if you do an undergrad degree in Taiwan, you will have to take the competitive graduate school exams with the Taiwanese students. You will no longer be classed as a foreigner for the purpose of university or grad school entrance. That’s going to be very difficult, especially if you are interested in something that has to do with Chinese language, because those programs mostly use a very, very difficult Chinese language exam to weed out applicants quickly. A foreigner would hardly have a chance on that kind of test.

Hello ironlady,

My plan is not to do my undergraduate degree in Taiwan for now as I improve my Chinese proficiency first, before I go to Taiwan to pursue higher education there. Before I apply to universities in Taiwan, I will make sure I have completed TOCFL examinations so my main concern is about the graduate/master degree, of whether that education background would be accepted. Do you think they will accept or even consider my application? ;(

I’m not quite certain what you want to do. Are you planning to do an undergrad degree in Taiwan, or do one abroad, then come to Taiwan to do your graduate degree? (Either way, they will certainly consider your application; it’s only that if you do the undergrad in TW, then apply to grad school there, you legally have to compete for the grad school position against native speakers of Chinese [Taiwanese students], instead of doing your application as a foreign student, which is somewhat easier.)

I cannot do my undergraduate in Taiwan since I need to learn Chinese language first. I can speak basic Mandarin (learned it at home from young) but I cannot read or write for now which is why I thought I should not study in Taiwan first. I think I should study Chinese language while doing my undergraduate (which will take 3-4years) before going to Taiwan for graduate degree.

Thank you so much for answering me, ironlady! :lovestruck:

So, let’s see if I have this right.

1. You don’t speak Mandarin or Taiwanese, and you cannot read Chinese,
  2. You’ve never been to Taiwan,
  3. English is your native language, which is why your phrasing is so odd,
  4. You are in love with Taiwan and are going to move here and get your degrees here and live here forever and ever.

If you have your Overseas Chinese ID, you can enroll in the special programs for Overseas Chinese returning, including language isntruction and college entrance examination preparations. There is also a special percentrage of posts allocated to Overseas Chinese so you can enroll in local universities. In sumary, you will be at an advantage.

Most Overseas Chinese are in the same boat: they speak fairly well but can’t read or write, so don’t be afraid to inquire at the local TECO about the programs suited for Overseas Chinese.

Assuming you do your undergrad degree in your home country, a lot of postgrad degrees are available in English - often with sponsorship or bursaries attached, because Taiwan is trying to attract foreign students to boost it’s “internationality” (is that a word?).

NTU includes a compulsory (tuition-free) module of Chinese language instruction, with an option to continue to a second year.

[quote=“IdeaRat”]So, let’s see if I have this right.

1. You don’t speak Mandarin or Taiwanese, and you cannot read Chinese,

2. You’ve never been to Taiwan,

3. English is your native language, which is why your phrasing is so odd,

4. You are in love with Taiwan and are going to move here and get your degrees here and live here forever and ever.[/quote]
    No, you’re half wrong. :slight_smile:

5. I can speak Mandarin just cannot read Chinese.

6. I have been to Taiwan for vacation.

7. I am not perfect. :o

8. True but I think I might not be getting the degree in Taiwan since I might have some difficulties. :smiley:

[quote=“Icon”]If you have your Overseas Chinese ID, you can enroll in the special programs for Overseas Chinese returning, including language isntruction and college entrance examination preparations. There is also a special percentrage of posts allocated to Overseas Chinese so you can enroll in local universities. In sumary, you will be at an advantage.

Most Overseas Chinese are in the same boat: they speak fairly well but can’t read or write, so don’t be afraid to inquire at the local TECO about the programs suited for Overseas Chinese.[/quote]
Thank you so much for sharing this info! But I am slightly confused, do you mean Taiwanese Overseas Chinese ID? O.o
http://www.ocac.gov.tw/english/public/public.asp?selno=7070&no=7070

[quote=“finley”]Assuming you do your undergrad degree in your home country, a lot of postgrad degrees are available in English - often with sponsorship or bursaries attached, because Taiwan is trying to attract foreign students to boost it’s “internationality” (is that a word?).

NTU includes a compulsory (tuition-free) module of Chinese language instruction, with an option to continue to a second year.[/quote]
Thank you for the info, I will do my own research on NTU and other universities in Taiwan as well. ^^

Check this out, too.

tigp.sinica.edu.tw