Will my Taiwanese driving licence remain valid after my ARC expires?

My student ARC (which I’ve had for nearly two years) will expire in March this year (2014). The year before last I passed both the motorcycle and driving tests, and received licences that both have an expiration date in the year 2019.

Assuming I leave Taiwan before my ARC expires next month, and then immediately return on a visa-free basis (which grants me 90 days, extendable to 180 days as a UK citizen), would my Taiwanese driving licences remain valid for the time I’m in Taiwan on a visa-free basis?

Furthermore, if at some point in the future I obtain a new ARC (either through employment, study, or some other means), will I be able to update my existing licences to match the new ARC number? (Am I correct to assume that a such a new ARC would have a different number from my present one?)

Sorry I’ve asked a question that has already been answered elsewhere. I looked for a good while, but couldn’t find anything. :cactus:

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Your driving license is good until the expiry printed on it irregardless of the expiry of your ARC.

Your ARC number will not change if you get a new one later, even if your purpose has changed.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“dan2006”]Your driving license is good until the expiry printed on it irregardless of the expiry of your ARC.

Your ARC number will not change if you get a new one later, even if your purpose has changed.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Yes, this is very helpful, thanks. :slight_smile:

By the way, do you happen to know which law or regulation provides the basis for this ability (to continue using a driving licence after the related ARC has expired)? It may be useful to point out to others in future, just for reference purposes.

Thanks again for posting!

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arch … 2003519004

so in theory, we could get a crappy english job, get an ARC, then license. then after your job is finished stay on visa free but keep the liscence?

that would be good, i want to drive but i don’t want to teach english… if i only had to do it as a one time sentence… i might just be able to manage.

[quote=“Lros”]so in theory, we could get a crappy english job, get an ARC, then license. then after your job is finished stay on visa free but keep the liscence?

that would be good, I want to drive but I don’t want to teach english… if i only had to do it as a one time sentence… I might just be able to manage.[/quote]

Yup in theory it would work.

Or you can study Chinese for 7 months in a language centre, and then get an ARC if you intended to study Chinese anyway.

I’ve had different arc numbers on different purpose visas, need to check that one out .
In now back using the original arc number I had ( I was on a student arc for a few years).

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“Lros”]so in theory, we could get a crappy english job, get an ARC, then license. then after your job is finished stay on visa free but keep the liscence?

that would be good, I want to drive but I don’t want to teach english… if i only had to do it as a one time sentence… I might just be able to manage.[/quote]

Yup in theory it would work.

Or you can study Chinese for 7 months in a language centre, and then get an ARC if you intended to study Chinese anyway.[/quote]

oooooooooh i didn’t know about that one. now i have options :sunglasses: