Will Taiwanese be amenable to re-unification with China if China adopts democracy?

Will Taiwan be willing to be a member state of the United State of China (USC), which would include HK, Macau and Tibet?

Has not worked out too well forr Tibet or HK has it? So nah… there is no United State of China.

4 Likes

Only because China is ruled by CCP. The question was, if China adopts democracy.

China claims it is already a democracy. They have elections there.
So define democracy?

2 Likes

I would say Yes, if ruled from Taipei.

1 Like

And you believe what China say?

2 Likes

That’s an old idea. Especially since Xi has been in power I haven’t heard much about it.

The answer is “no.” That ship has long sailed.

Guy

1 Like

Even if China gets top scores from independent thinktanks like Freedom House, there would be significant debate as to whether it is a good idea as well.

• Taiwan has its own culture and national identity that has evolved from China. Unification would dilute Taiwan and what makes it special. Interactions will mix and the culture will grow and adapt, but it’s like adding a few drops of green dye to a glass of milk. It’s still gonna look mostly white. Taiwanese culture will be more influenced by China than the other way around.

If China became a democracy next year let’s say. The CCP says alrighty, we’ve done our work, we’re transitioning, and overnight (in political terms) the country became democratic to much fanfare. The people in China would simply not disappear. The same nationalists, little pinks, people running the government, hawks etc… will still be there. Many oppositonists would come out of the woods, but… the people don’t just simply disappear. Leading to my next point.

• China’s population would drown out Taiwanese voices in parliament. Even if China was run from Taiwan, one vote one person would mean Taiwan would still have to go along the whims of the population in China.

• Taiwanese novelty/tourist claims of most something something or biggest something in the whole country would disappear. None of the -est or the most would be in Taiwan. Tourism would be on China as a whole. It would be welcome to China with tourism pamphlets about a variety of places from Shanghai, to Hohhot. Smaller places might get drowned out.

2 Likes

The only benefit I can think of is that the population problem would be solved without having to - from the perspective of Taiwanese people -impurify the han gene pool.

RE-unification?

3 Likes

I think the current climate is no longer political. The divide of culture and society has only grown larger. It would be hard for me as a younger Taiwanese to see them as my people and countrymen.

2 Likes

There is almost no Chinese left in Taiwan. I think is imposible.

Clearly this poster means if the CCP were toppled and a US style democratic system replaces it

But yeah, tough to see the advantages without being in that alternate reality. Taiwan works just fine as a sovereign nation

1 Like

Mixed proportional representation Parliament with members elected using CPO-STV, national and regional leaders elected using ranked pairs voting, and voting districts drawn using Fairmandering. Basically they all have to satisfy the Condorcet winner criterion.

And the military swears allegiance to the constitution, the people and the representatives elected by the people.

Unity is implicit, so a ‘state’ being united is weird, plus USC is taken. Also, this conjecture sort of begets, predicates if you will, the notion that china is no longer the worst neighbor in the area, meaning they will have stopped occupying Tibet… That’s a gnarly ‘if’; No.

It’s like I tell Taiwanese cab drivers when they ask my opinion. I tell them China is part of Taiwan and until China can prove it’s grown up enough to be let in it’s going to have to keep working on itself.

1 Like

Better to have multiple Chinese-speaking states, like Germany, Austria, and Lichtenstein.