Will Taiwanese wines ever make it?

It’s all the chemicals they add to the wine

Everybody has their pet theory. :grin:

No theory
In Napa they add sulfites and other allowed chemicals to the wine to keep it from spoiling

Other wine regions do too

1 Like

Only red wine gives me headaches. Does this mean they don’t put preservatives in white wine?

And the alcohol.

1 Like

Less histamines in white wine.

Also less tannins. And histamines in other foods don’t bother me.

It’s the staggering amount of histamines in red wines that do it. And probably the amount of wine you drink.

1 Like

I never drink enough red wine to stagger.

Perhaps not, but it may be possible its the methanol, acetone etc in wine giving you the headache. All ferments have them while the yeast is pissing out alcohol, thats why distilling is better as it can fraction out those more poisonous ones. But can also be bad if they dont toss out the bad ones… wine keeps them all in. As do ciders and beer. however it may (no idea if this idea holds weight) be the the difference that beer malts their grians. Meads, wines and ciders use fruit usually and dont have this problem of needing to prep the material like grains and starchy stuff. One thing i have noticed drinking and making various types is that i dont get headaches from things that have much less cellulose/fibre/seed which tends to make more “wood alcohol” as an example red grapes have tannin, seeds and skin. makes me sick. Pineapple wine made skin off does not. no seeds, tannins etc.

Just a thought. Though its true commercial wines use chemicals that make me sick/headache as well. Wont drink grape wine even if free. Body cant do it.

An example

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Chemical-composition-of-distillate-fractions-and-MAP-quality-parameters-for-fruit-spirits_tbl1_333702872

2 Likes