Win the Taiwan Receipt Lottery Theory

Can anyone recommend a decent app for doing this? I guess English isn’t an option, but a simple interface where I can just quickly scan in each QR code one at a time without pressing any buttons in between or having to go back and forth between screens would be nice.

I’ve tried a couple of apps in the past but was pretty unimpressed, and they seemed considerably slower and more tedious than my current system of just organizing the receipts into a couple of piles every 2 months, flicking through each pile while manually typing out the last 3 digits into a spreadsheet, then searching for the winning numbers. Any better suggestions?

1 Like

Official way is to make an account with the tax office and get a ‘mobile barcode’. Present it after purchase to store receipts electronically. You can set up your winnings to go to your bank account.

https://www.translatingtaiwan.com/2017/09/06/taiwans-receipt-lottery-get-virtual-receipts-and-connect-to-your-bank-account/

You can then scan and add physical receipts with the app.

It takes a bit of time to set up initially, but is a time saver in the long run.

Other app to check for winning receipts is this:

7 Likes

Thanks for that. I’m loath to set up the digital barcode at the moment (privacy reasons, and introducing an additional step into every transaction I make), but maybe in the future. I think I might have tried the Ministry of Finance (or whatever it is) app before but was put off by the setup process.

I might check out the Fast Invoice Scanner app at some point, but I can’t currently download it (my Google Play account is linked the the UK, albeit with ringgit as the currency for some odd reason that Google’s tech support couldn’t solve). Might give it a go when I get around to changing the location to Taiwan (after opening a bank account).

I use the Fast Invoice Scanner and I recommend it!

7 Likes

I like the app 哈啦Money.

It takes a few extra taps after you scan the receipt, but that’s just because it wants to to categorize the purchase.

At the end of every month, it generates a pie chart of where I spent money.

In the long run, it saves a lot of time because I no longer have to track purchases using an excel spreadsheet.

3 Likes

Kind of off-topic, but the Expense IQ app is pretty good for tracking expenses in general, without having to rely on scanning receipts or using an Excel spreadsheet. I’ve been using it for 5 years or so now for tracking everything I spend/receive in various currencies/accounts. I have a widget on my phone screen where I can just press the “+” button, enter the amount, and start typing in “Groceries (Costco)” or “Taxi (Uber)” or whatever until it autocompletes the rest - it takes maybe 5-10 seconds for every purchase. It also has the features you mentioned like categories and monthly/yearly reports. I find it pretty handy.

I believe there’s a free version, but the paid version is worth it in my opinion (it’s actually one of the few, probably <5, apps I’ve ever paid for) and has some extra features that justify it for me (the main one was being able to transfer money between accounts in different currencies).

1 Like
1 Like

seems I won, one of these things via electronic ezpay receipt. how do you proceed ? like where do you claim the price etc ?

3 Likes

Get into that off coffee folks!

given my I translated it to English. so wouldn’t know exactly what it means

I redacted it just in case.

3 Likes

Last time I won anything was last may, not this past one but last year.

It’s really hard to win anything, used to be it was easier to win 200nt.

Unless you basically milk the system you wouldn’t win a significant amount… and they will pick up on that if you try (such as buying 1nt plastic bags repeatedly on separate receipts)

Question about the fapiao, thought maybe I should put it in this thread.

When I scan the fapiao in my phone app, most of the time it picks up the left side QR code. Every blue moon it picks up both the left and right side. Is there any difference? Curious what the two codes are for.

They used to issue fapiao on every crypto transaction at some of the local crypto exchanges. So you can buy 1 TWD, sell 1 TWD, repeat, but they fixed that. I used to get dozens of fapiao per day that way via regular trades, but I didn’t try to abuse the system, just thought that others probably already tried to abuse it.

I think most I’ve won is 2k. This time I won 400

2 Likes

I just won for the first time ever -$1000. It was from a bian dang shop. I thought it would have had to have been from a convenience store as that’s where most of my receipts come from. But it was from a restaurant. Are restaurants more likely to be winners? Is there any strategy to this?

Gotta say I thought I would be happier after finally winning, but I was just wading through my massive pile of receipts thinking is that it?? only one?? What a scam.

1 Like

thats why i stopped collecting them. You at least won, i went through a year of hoarding these and not winning

2 Likes

200NTD one can expect a few times a year. 1k is actually a pretty lucky win. Go and burn some ghost money. :grin:

1 Like

I got 4000NT once after just moving here, I’m sure was just to get me hooked so now I have to keep checking :wink:

2 Likes

I treated myself for hot pot on my birthday. Now that receipt won me 200nt.

2 Likes