Win the Taiwan Receipt Lottery Theory

Is it just me, or every dang time those receipt numbers come out, I literally have multiple times where I’m just one number off. So, I have developed a new strategy…

Never pay for things together, always separate…then ask for a plastic bag after the other stuff has been rung up. There, fixed it. Will give a disclosure of my winnings here next receipt cycle. But hey, perhaps this is only me who has this problem…

4 Likes

Sounds like the strategy one had about buying a bag of rice, but paying grain by grain…

1 Like

Don’t burn all the prayer money at once, slowly through it into the fire. Gods hear it better. Or something.

And use the phone app so you don’t waste paper

1 Like

Toilet paper

I don’t think the numbers on the receipts go up one by one…

1 Like

They do, if they are in the same roll.

1 Like

If you live in an area that offer biodegradeable plastic bags, then you will not get a Fapiao for buying them separately. Only counties still using the old bags still do, like as I learned in Kaohsiung.

Then op needs to find stores with the old system receipts. I think in family mart and stuff is computer generated, don’t think is possible to get the numbers he wants.

I’m sure you will find someone willing to sell you as many receipts as you want for 1 NTD each. Maybe that’s the way to go. Maybe you can start your own business doing this.

No you won’t. I run a business that issues Fapiaos. Not only do you have to report EVERY fapiao to the tax office, but you have to pay 5% GST on them AND it’s extremely tedious AND they’ll definitely start asking questions.

It’s illegal by consequence to do this.

Secondly. Fapiaos cost money to acquire. I have to buy them.

Thirdly, once you’ve dealt with the anti-fraud investigators from the tax office, you then have to justify having hundreds or thousands of $1 fapiaos on your income taxes.

5 Likes

What if you charge 0.X NTD + cost (admin, paper, tax…) for one “good wish”. I can see how someone will ask questions, but it might be legal and profitable?

1 Like

No you can’t. Taiwanese New Dollars are denominated in whole currency only. You CAN’T pay with anything less than $1.

Fourthly, if you figure that you’ll go to a big business where they’ll be buried in the millions of other transactions they do a day…say buying plastic bags at Dinghao, you now have to waste hours to buy 1000 bags to guarantee you the prizes of the lowest category, of which it is $400-700 of guaranteed winnings by buying $1000 of items. Not only have you wasted valuable time you could have spent earning money in legitimate ventures, but you actually lost money.

If going to a small business and just simply receiving fapiaos from the business owner, then to process all those fapiaos for a meagre MAXIMUM $400 if split halfway means that I have wasted hours of my time at the GST office processing each fapiao and my time in particular is worth more than $400 for hours of tedious work.

To win the maximum, I need to buy 100 MILLION fapiaos, or 2 million books of 50 each, spending $36 million on these books, countless days of several people that I’d have to pay to help towards processing 100 million fapiaos and then pay $59 million on the taxes and fees associated. On prizes over $10000, 20% is further taken out. The $10 million prize? Actually $8 Million.

It’s not a law on the books. It’s fraud. They will throw the book at you. They’ve been doing this fapiao lottery for 60ish years. They’re not stupid and know how people behave. The maximum prize is $10 million. You will lose money. At most you might approach breaking even by estimating without doing maths at midnight. And that’s without the criminal charges, lawyering up and other consequences due to your economic fraud.

You will lose.

5 Likes

If I start a 1 NTD good wish business where people do receive a faipiao for each wish they buy, I will pay more in tax then my customers statistically will win, right?

I’m trying to help the OP end up with less plastic bags.

Technically you can, You must collect 5% in GST and then pay 18% in corporate taxes. But yeah, you will pay more in taxes/fees than they collectively will win. If it’s a legit business that you receive revenue for…there’s nothing wrong with it. But if you think you’re going to game the lottery for profit, it’s stacked against you.

I actually did use the plastic bags I bought for the extra fapiao for recycling. They are useful. They ended that with the pink New Taipei bags. Now I use those for garbage. Kaohsiung still does the original plastic bags that come with the Fapiaos and they’re fine for plastic recycling.

In an effort to get merchants to keep things on the books, the government came up with the Receipt Lottery. The theory being, with millions in winnings on the line, customers would start demanding receipts with every purchase and merchants would wind up with all their income on the books.

2 Likes

I once walked out of a grocery store and realized that I accidentally didn’t pay for one of the items in my cart.

I went back in and paid for it.

I got another receipt… and that second receipt won $200.

So, I’m sure you can split your grocery store trip into separate purchases… just don’t buy tissues individually on separate receipts, and don’t do it every day.

2 Likes

That’s karma :smiley:

5 Likes

I just won 2x 200nt.

One was for spotify and one from carrefour.

It turns out you can store those receipts electronically by downloading those apps, and then entering them into the app after every purchase. But if you use your credit/debit card those receipts can be entered automatically and so if you win anything the app tells you. No need to have stacks of paper that you can lose.

Some stores still use those traditional paper ones, and those you gotta keep. But few stores use them now.

1 Like