Wireless access in Taiwan &G4 iBook advice

Hi.

I’m moving to Chung Li in August, and I just bought a new G4 iBook I plan to bring with me. I chose to add on a wireless card, which will be great here in Portland OR… but now I am wondering: will it do me any good in Taiwan, specifically Chung Li?

I need some general info on what kind of internet access the typical English teachers’ household has. If anyone out there is familiar with iBooks, maybe you can help me out; I am not so computer savvy. I haven’t received the new iBook yet, but I’m assuming it has an ethernet port. Is it likely to have a modem? (The specs* don’t specifically say it includes a modem, but my roommates tell me it probably will. Blah blah blah. Sorry for the rambling.) So, if it doesn’t have a modem, will I need to buy one?

Thanks!
Krista

1GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1GHz
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme ready

I am using the wireless card at home, so I am not bound to the cable. Depending on the size of your apartment (and your internet connection), a wireless router is a good investment.

The Starbucks here do not have wireless lan and I did not notice any Cafes here in Kaohsiung serving one either (but I also did not look very hard for one…). Taipei is better (as usual)… [url=Taiwan 802.11b Wireless Internet Access Point List 802.11b Wireless Internet Access Point List[/url]

[quote=“mahala024”]
Is it likely to have a modem? (The specs* don’t specifically say it includes a modem, but my roommates tell me it probably will.[/quote]

It does.

Never been yo Chungli, but in Taipei I can surf wirelessly at almost every park my powerbook has taken me to. Like limemonkey says, you’ll need a wireless router for home. After that you can surf anywhere in your house. You may even get lucky and be able to freely surf from your neighbours network providing they didn’t encrypt their router. At work, I’m able to wirelessly surf using the internet cafe’s connection down the road a little due to its close proximity to my classroom.

Here in Taibei wireless is fairly commonplace and some Starbucks do have wireless. A fair number of Micky D’s do as well. It’s also not unusual to find it coffee shops thus equipped.

And, don’t underestimate just how nice it is use your iBook anywhere you want just in your own home. I really dig lounging on the couch – it’s easier to keep an eye on the kids.

It’s great in the kitchen putting together a recipe I’ve downloaded off the web.

Bring it! How can it be bad?