OK rant time.
Yet another fucked up purchase in Taiwan.
I went to about 4 stores looking at routers, aiming for a Linksys or 3COM.
The best spec’d router I found was an ASUS, but it included 2 usb ports that can be used as a printer server, cam server or HDD server.
I plug in the router and type 192.168.1.1…so far so good. I was presented with the router config webpage with various options. The browser told me the webpage loaded with errors.
After setting up, and getting online, I return to the admin panel to check out the other things I can configure. Still bullshit links - I can’t seem to get anything to work directly in the address bar other than the root url.
So I figured, I’d go to the ASUS website and download new firmware (cos surely the’d fixed this by now right?
Last firmware file date is oct last year…uh oh. So I download it anyway.
The CD came with a firmware upgrade utility, so I use that.
I get the error message “Unable to locate a device to update”. What a crock.
I hate buying hardware and having software problems, it’s all bullshit and I have been here before. The shop replaces the whole unit, complete with exactly the same buggy software. They then refer you back to the website blah blah.
Oh yeah, I thought I’d go to the ASUS forum just for this particular router:
"Location Can not Be Found
Sorry! this page doesn’t exist. Please check the url or try again later.
Please refer to the following page to obtain other ASUS services. Thank you very much. "