Wireless router problems... fark

I woke this morning to zero internet. mmmm.

Linksys W54G Router lights show no activity, and “Diag” light is a solid red. Router reboot (twice) does nothing.

Once at work, I checked the Linksys support website, and it says that a solid red ‘diag’ light indicates an internal problem requiring authorised service.

So it looks like I’m going to buy a new router. (eyes light up)

Any good toys out there that you guys recommend?

My Corega router has been going slowly, but steadily down hill. I suggest you look for something other than a Corega.

OK rant time.

Yet another fucked up purchase in Taiwan.

I went to about 4 stores looking at routers, aiming for a Linksys or 3COM.
The best spec’d router I found was an ASUS, but it included 2 usb ports that can be used as a printer server, cam server or HDD server.
Great…I thought.

I plug in the router and type 192.168.1.1…so far so good. I was presented with the router config webpage with various options. The browser told me the webpage loaded with errors.
Turns out none of the javascript links work. The only thing that works in the ‘quick setup’, so that is what I go for.
After setting up, and getting online, I return to the admin panel to check out the other things I can configure. Still bullshit links - I can’t seem to get anything to work directly in the address bar other than the root url.
So I figured, I’d go to the ASUS website and download new firmware (cos surely the’d fixed this by now right?
Last firmware file date is oct last year…uh oh. So I download it anyway.
The CD came with a firmware upgrade utility, so I use that.
I get the error message “Unable to locate a device to update”. What a crock.

I hate buying hardware and having software problems, it’s all bullshit and I have been here before. The shop replaces the whole unit, complete with exactly the same buggy software. They then refer you back to the website blah blah.

Oh yeah, I thought I’d go to the ASUS forum just for this particular router:

"Location Can not Be Found

Sorry! this page doesn’t exist. Please check the url or try again later.
Please refer to the following page to obtain other ASUS services. Thank you very much. "
:fume:
/rant

Check out this gem of a trouble shooting guide:
support.asus.com/troubleshooting … uage=en-us

All it confirms is there is a problem, nothing about what to do. Awesome.

Why did you buy an ASUS of all things?! You brought this on yo 'sef. Did 3Com and Linksys not have affordable routers? That’s screwed up. I’ll remember to avoid their products. These days though, it’s ALL about software, the hardware all comes from the same plant in China anyway.

Well, like I said. I tried 4 stores and none had Linksys or 3COM. I don’t want to spend a week just to buy a router…I mean how hard can it be to get the config page to work in this ASUS?

Brain Fart! I read that part but I didn’t make the connection. It’s been a year since I got my router (Yikes!) so things may be different now. Where did you go btw?

Nova and around Taoyuan.

To be honest, the ASUS with USB support for HDD, cams and printers was just what I wanted…just pissed off the software sucks

OK peeps. I know you are all busting with ideas, but hold off for a minute. :wink:
It seems the router works fine on my work PC :blush:

So there is obviously something wrong with my home PC, not the router that is causing the config page to not load…(glad I checked)

[quote=“Truant”]OK peeps. I know you are all busting with ideas, but hold off for a minute. :wink:

So there is obviously something wrong with my home PC, not the router that is causing the config page to not load…(glad I checked)[/quote]

Sorry, I’m just reading this now.

I was immediately going to ask if you were using Firefox to load the admin page. Sometimes, you’ve gotta lower yourself to IE to get the thing working right. It’s all about the scripting, baby.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Truant”]OK peeps. I know you are all busting with ideas, but hold off for a minute. :wink:

So there is obviously something wrong with my home PC, not the router that is causing the config page to not load…(glad I checked)[/quote]

Sorry, I’m just reading this now.

I was immediately going to ask if you were using Firefox to load the admin page. Sometimes, you’ve gotta lower yourself to IE to get the thing working right. It’s all about the scripting, baby.[/quote]
I hear ya. I tried both FF and IE and I even lowered the security setting to nothing in IE with no luck. At work it was plug and play…mmmm.

As embarrassing as it is, I might as well post what the problem was here so other people can learn from it if they get a similar situation.

One word: Norton.

I am running Norton Antivirus and Internet Security and even tho I turned both of these off during the router setup, it seemed they have a habit of re-enabling themselves if they have been disabled for a certain time.
Usually having Internet Security block something results in a page not loading AT ALL, not something like I saw which was a page loading, but with javascript errors…so I was fooled as to what was causing the problem.
So, as soon as I made sure these two were disabled (and shut them down to prevent auto re-enable) I was in business. :blush: Talk about frustrating.

Did I mention that the Router is great, ASUS is great, the router software is great and everything works such as network printing, networked FTP usb portable HDD etc. Yep, everything is fine and dandy once the idiot operator figured out where the problem was (i.e. the idiot operator)

:sunglasses:

Great information and good to hear you figured how it works. Maybe you should think of upgrading the user or play in some new firmware. :wink:

Glad you found the problem, though you can hardly be faulted for not automatically thinking of that. That little tidbit should have at least been in a readme no?

[quote=“Truant”]OK peeps. I know you are all busting with ideas, but hold off for a minute. :wink:

Maybe not just that…
I’ve found problems with the USB printer capabilities on all of the Asus routers…

I have to say that I’m still a big Dlink fan as the 108Mbp Dlink routers come with 3 year warrenties and are by far some of the most easily configurable on the market.

Also have a few different language firmware updates.

Haven’t had a problem with them yet…