Wisconsin gets Foxconned

Reminds me of the Netflix documentary American Factory.

3 Likes

5G networks will allow low-cost, skilled manual laborers in third-world countries to telecommute to first-world countries in real time. They’ll electronically inhabit hubots which will allow them to work on farms, in geriatrics facilities, and factories without ever physically leaving their communities

So Skynet and the Matrix all in one…but just for poor people across the world? Hmm…

Breaking news: the factory isn’t even real. Oh wait, anyone that isn’t a Trumpian has been saying that before they broke ground and kicked people out of their houses and owned for generations farms!

1 Like

Not surprising for yet another Trump stunt but also not a good look for a Taiwan company. Let’s not forget the involvement of the officials at the local level.

Though Trump and the former Republican Wisconsin governor Scott Walker declared with the 2017 Foxconn announcement that they had revived a critical upper midwest swing state’s manufacturing sector, the project is now viewed as a loss for Republicans. Meanwhile, there’s a growing sense that Mount Pleasant residents’ lives were upended for what was little more than elaborate political theater designed to score a phony public relations win for Trump and Walker.

1 Like

This is why I say eminent domain is unconstitutional. Even in Taipei, where I wish the city would eminent domain the crap out of 100% of buildings and make a city with sidewalks and decent-looking homes, there is a reason every developed government on earth has laws against the government seizing your property for no good reason. Foxconn exhibit A

1 Like

The bigger picture is that Foxconsin is Exhibit A why only an idiot would try to manufacture something in the U.S. that could be manufactured for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

1 Like

These aren’t exactly cheap plastic toys. Semiconductor factory jobs are high skill high pay. It doesn’t suffer as much as some plastics company in Shenzhen.

“What is this sidewalk for? I don’t understand it. It’s the sidewalk to nowhere.”

Well, at least they got sidewalks.

1 Like

Sure, but are they union jobs?

The grifter is gone but the con lingers

2 Likes

A damning detailed report. The Taiwan company is not making any friends in Wisconsin.

“From the beginning the lack of transparency, the lack of honesty and the lack of accountability from Foxconn has really plagued the project and investment,” Hintz told WPR. “It’s hard to take them seriously, even if there is a credible announcement.”

Hintz said the company’s Wisconsin operations have appeared to be virtually nonexistent for nearly four years.

“Time after time you have a company that seems to be trying to buy time in a state that has been waiting almost four years for something to be true, and they string people along by announcing the next best thing, but I don’t know how anyone can believe them at this point,” he said.

The art of the deal.

1 Like

Foxconn looking at building electric cars in Wisconsin

http://www.wjfw.com/storydetails/20210301135902/foxconn_looking_at_building_electric_cars_in_wisconsin

Taiwan electronics manufacturer Foxconn is drastically scaling back a planned $10 billion factory in Wisconsin, confirming its retreat from a project that former U.S. President Donald Trump once called “the eighth wonder of the world.”

2 Likes

The art of no-deal? The art of the con?

I called it! Now if only we hadn’t kicked thousands of people out of their homes so their homes could become very wide highways and retaining ponds…

1 Like

Hopefully Wisconsin can sue their ass for not following through.

Racine’s economy boomed just because of that.

It’s not over because Foxconn still might be making cars there, and they got some tax kickbacks for what they already did.

Doubt it if they don’t threaten lawsuits. They can force them into following through with their promises though. Foxconn can’t afford messing with the American government.

And honestly, FoxConn is the most despicable type of company. Possibly worse than Amazon.

2 Likes