Withdrawing money from Maestro ATM, again

Hi All,
unfortunately all posts with relevance on this topic are quite old, or maybe fortunately, since I hope that something has changed.
I do not live in Taiwan, but I come quite often and for a not so short stay.
I still have problems in withdrawing money from ATMs with my European card: here the banks keep saying that I should use Maestro, which did never work for me. I have a secondary account on a bank which has a Cirrus card (most of the banks are abandoning it) which is the only card that works in Taiwan, and I know for sure it works in Cathay United bank.

Any European forumer had ever had any luck with Maestro? If so, which bank in particular? Even with Cirrus not all the banks worked for me.
There is also a lot of confusion among Mastercard and Maestro, but they are not the same: Mastercard is a credit circuit, and allows for cash advance (at high cost), while Maestro is a debit circuit, which is supposed to work for cash withdrawal.
Thank you for your help

p.s. Oops, I was forgetting to mention that I when I get to Taiwan I am based in Tainan most of the time

Go to the bank show them your lease and requirements for going to school in Taiwan and you can open up a bank account here.

then?

Then you can transfer money from your account to your Taiwan account and withdraw it fee free. If you’re coming to Taiwan a lot the fees are negligible. If you’re smart you’ll set up a dual account with Taiwanese dollars and foreign funds.

I was able to withdraw money with my German card (not debit or credit card). I think it had Maestro. I did it at the Mega Bank ATM. No account needed with them.

Make sure your account is is set for withdrawal in other countries and you have high enough limit set up.

I remember having those problems with the atms especially the ones in family and 711, even they show the logos maestro and cirrus, a bunch of them never worked.

No school. I come to Taiwan for vacation regularly, but within the limit of no-visa requirement.

Yes I made sure that my card is set up for that, in fact with Cirrus I am able to withdraw, but as I said, not with Maestro. Are you sure you used Maestro? That would be great, in Tainan there is a Mega Bank office close to the railway station, I can give a try next year.
In the meantime I have to decide my new bank here, and being compelled to use Cirrus is a big hassle

Mega tends to take all cards because they are a major forex trader in Taiwan so it stands to reason they would have to be able to accept everything. As you said Cathay is good and I’d even say China trust but they suck because there is a $100 my fee they tack on but in a pinch it’s OK

Yes, I am sure about that.

You will be able to withdraw NT$30k per transaction as it is the limit at most ATMs.