Woke up to a dog with two broken legs

Didn’t sleep last night…have some tough choices to make…things on my mind. Feel pretty crappy this morning. Take my dogs for their morning walk…as I’m walking out of my gated in community, I see the sun trying to peak out from behind a cloud and I think to myself “Maybe today will be a good day”.

I open the gate to exit my community and the first thing I see is a dog hobbling past with two broken legs…the rear right has been completely pulled from the socket and the front right has a clean break a bit above the wrist.

I know the dog. It lives outside some very poor peoples houses. They feed it. But looking at their homes I’m sure they couldn’t afford to do much more for it.

I took my dogs for their walk first (they have to go 1 and 2) then took them back inside and went out to catch the dog. I spent about 15 minutes looking and couldn’t find it. Gave up started to go home…then decided to give it one more shot (all the while secretly hoping not to find it…the right choice and the easy choice are rarely the same)…and found him. But he won’t let me get near him…he’s not afraid of people…just me.

We have a few scooter chasing dogs in my area…which is dangerous for the dog as well as the scooter rider. So to discourage them from chasing me…and hopefully others as well… I turn the tables on them. And while some of you might think it’s cruel…it works and they don’t chase me.

Anyway…back on topic…the dog won’t let me get near it…and I don’t feel like running at the poor thing and tackling it.

I’m up for suggestions…but I’m not Stray Dog nor bobepine…wish I had their strength…but I don’t.

Here is a video I shot of the dog in question an hour ago: yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=35162 it’s 4 megs.

Mordeth, thanks for trying to help this por animal. Will he take food?

We can put some tranquilizers in the food and wait for him to fall asleep. I’ll take the dog to our vet to get treated. Tomorrow would be a good day.

Sean 0920 620 109

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Mordeth, thanks for trying to help this por animal. Will he take food?

We can put some tranquilizers in the food and wait for him to fall asleep. I’ll take the dog to our vet to get treated. Tomorrow would be a good day.

Sean 0920 620 109[/quote]

To be honest I think he’d come to you. He doesn’t seem leary of people…just me.

I’d be happy to donate towards the cost…or to pay you personally for your time coming out here. Today is a down day for me…and I don’t have too much energy in me for others.

Also I’m pretty sure I know the people who feed it. They always say hello to me when I ride past them…they live in metal shacks…very poor. I could ask them to keep an eye on the dog for a day or two…or figure out who specifically takes care of it.

I just don’t want to pick it up myself with it’s rear leg dangling loose…I can’t imagine how NOT to hurt it.

Ok…I’ll head over there right now and talk with them…I hope they don’t rape me…if I’m not back on the forums in 30mins…umm…wait longer.

Have a good time. :slight_smile:

Ok, he or she…was right where I thought he…umm…let’s just use “it”. Start again.

It was right about where I thought it would be. I felt horrible for having looked for it because it recognized my abnormal level of interest and got spooked. It was lying peacefully on the road…but on seeing my approach it got up and started to run. Not a pretty sight…poor thing.

There were two younger men nearby and I asked them if they knew who usually cared for the dog. They said they didn’t. I pointed out to them that the dog had two broken legs…to which they laughed and said “oh yeah, it does.” in a “neato” sort of way :fume: . So I killed them both…and then buggered their scooters. Strike that last sentence.

Anyway, I’m fairly certain the dog will be easy to locate when and if the time comes. I walk my dogs many times a day…so I’ll ask around that neighborhood a bit more and try to find someone there (who the dog trusts(who hasn’t chased it with a scooter :whistle: )) who would maybe help the dog…with aid of my financial support.

Good luck, Mordeth. I reckon the sooner you grab a hold of him, the better off he’ll be in the long run. If he’s got 2 broken legs, couldn’t you simply run after him (how fast could he be?), grab him and rush him to the vet. Use tranqs if you got some. That’ll help avoid any unnecessary biting of, well, you. :s

Good for you M. :bravo:

Watch the video above…it’s pretty quick. It can’t corner very well on only two legs though…it almost got hit by cars twice in the short time I was watching him.

Don’t give thanks Namahottie…I’m an unwilling helper in this…but what else can I do?

Ah, missed the video link. Humm… bloody 'ell he is running pretty quick, isn’t he?

Best of luck. If makes any difference whatsoever, I’ll be there with you ‘in spirit.’

Stray Dog came by last night. I looked for the dog twice before he got here and told him I couldn’t find it. He came anyway as he was in the area (relatively). We have quite a few dog lovers around here and I honestly believed/hoped one of them had taken it to a vet.

Got a phone call from my girlfriend from her work. She says she saw it on her way to work this morning directly in front of my house in the field. The first three times I saw the dog it was always in the alleyways beside my house…and I walk in the field many times a day and have never seen it there…so I didn’t look there yesterday (other than walking there with my dogs).

So the hunt continues. But I’m leaving for work now…so the poor dog with two broken legs will have to spend another day outside in the cold rain. :frowning:

Stray Dog gave me some pills to put in some food for the dog…to help catch it. Unfortunately I put them in my girlfriend’s drink instead. But not to worry, I’ll swing by a vet on the way home and get some more.

[quote=“Mordeth”]
Stray Dog gave me some pills to put in some food for the dog…to help catch it. Unfortunately I put them in my girlfriend’s drink instead. But not to worry, I’ll swing by a vet on the way home and get some more.[/quote]As long as you did not also take her to Straydog she’ll be fine. :wink:

That dog is fast for walking on two legs, it’s not going to be easy to catch it. Best is if you could get the people who feed it to do it.

You mentioned that you’re worried about catching it without hurting it. In that condition it will be difficult to do that as it will hurt itself trying to get away and it could hurt you too.

I made a catching rod/ noose to catch Lucky and that had to hurt too. After the capture the poor thing was nose bleeding. He may have hit its nose on a wall(narrow alley) or on the rope while trying to get away. It happened too fast and it was hard to tell what caused the bleeding. Made me feel like crap but you know now I’m that dog’s favorite person and the poor thing would have died had I not hurt him a bit in order to help him

We caught George with a tranq gun. The needle is about 3/16" wide and about an inch and a half long. That so had to hurt. :frowning:

Both George, and Lucky were going to die. May be better off that way than limping on two legs for the next however long. The video you posted was short but enough to see that this dog is in despair and in pain already. I really hope you guys catch it and good on you for trying. :bravo:

Quote: Stray Dog gave me some pills to put in some food for the dog…to help catch it. Unfortunately I put them in my girlfriend’s drink instead. But not to worry, I’ll swing by a vet on the way home and get some more.:UnQuote

I LIVE FOR LAUGHS LIKE THIS.

Chou