Woman's racist physical assault on black child - am I wrong to think the reaction is overblown?

A new lens on an old problem. But there was totally a ‘Karen’ conversation, I posted a wikipedia link for someone

I think I get your point now. Like this, yeah?

1. likes gadgets
  2. if it had been a rich white man, would we feel differently?
  3. troubled family background, missing father
  4. what role does the car play in the story?
  5. who doesn’t like to watch a little vigilante justice?

I’m not sure about the gadgets bit. What’s that about?

1 Like

Batman has his trusty utility belt, she got bent outta shape when she lost her phone. for both of them, gadgets are a key part of the story (almost like an extension of them, or another character). maybe one of the more flippant possibilities

I’m still not getting it.

1 Like

Just the gadgets, or the whole bit?
(please don’t ask me to start at karen :wink: )

The media is really sick, and possibly this girl is too. I get the people who eat this media drivel up and secretly want blood because this subtle racism has been going on unchecked for so long, and your POV as well, that the media has taken it and put it on repeat for weeks. I guess its a question for society to ponder as this happens more and more, maybe someday it will go overboard and someone will physically retaliate and harm or kill a “Karen” then we’ll have to ask what the Medias role was in all this. But im sure theyll wipe their hands clean of it all.

1 Like

The whole lot to be honest. I am really trying (easy joke). What the fuck are you on about?

This woman, like Batman, was a vigilante. The more I thought about it, the more I saw comparisons. It seems like a fun way to analyze the thread topic, through the lens of Batman. Not to say that she is Batman, but what new considerations can we have if we look at it differently. I tried to send the discussion that way yesterday but nobody bit.

Also yesterday, we talked about what is and isn’t a karen and whether that applies here.

So, when you asked something about karen just now, I saw the opportunity to try the Batman again, rather than more karen

edit: i also thought the gadget bit was hilarious, and the ‘batman angle’ with the classic batman angle on the photo (double entendre). i’m not used to discussion boards, and people don’t think i’m funny in real life, either. my bad

1 Like

I do sort of think that there is some media bias here…

• Firstly, let’s just call her Karen and say that this doesn’t really seem racially motivated. She’s just a b*tch
  • There are male versions of Karen (Brad I think? Or maybe Ken?). How many times have you seen the media roast Brad/Ken?

At the end of the day, it’s really all about privilege right? If we flip the race, male/female angle and switch it to say fame or money… ie. “Don’t you know who I am?” or even “I pay your taxes! You work for me!” these are all really f*cking annoying @ssholes

Yes, it’s unfortunate that the media seems to like picking on Karens at the moment, but hey, life’s not fair

1 Like

I’m cool with that. You’re probably a good guy who comes across differently. It’s fine - please don’t worry!

1 Like

Karens it is, apparently!

I call the male Karen’s Kevin.

I haven’t followed this story that closely, but the NY Post article points out that it is the 14yo whose father is an acclaimed musician. So, the privilege here isn’t about the fame

Looks like she thought her phone was robbed and got neurotic as most people who are phone zombies would as it is an appendage to their bodies. She saw the person with the same phone and immediately hit out. In that state of emotion she did not think is he a child? She thought, he has my phone. Whether because he is black she thought he robbed it or could own one, who knows? It is being pushed as it was anyway.
She should refrain from doing interviews. But she may want some exposure probably being a bit of a narcissist. She should not have apologized and like I said, it makes no difference whatsoever when you do with zealots.

I call them Chad.

1 Like

Male Karens are Karens.

1 Like

Why isn’t there more focus on the honest uber driver who returned the lost phone?

4 Likes

An interesting twist - focusing on the positive. A nice alternative, but I doubt it’ll ever work.

2 Likes

I have a hard time feeling sympathy for her. She is now “retracting” her apology and going the route that she is the victim. In California, she has been arrested several times for DUI and violently resisted arrest and berated police at one DUI arrest.