Women in Politics

Not even going to respond to the troll message slick boy, but I am sure a woman having maternity leave would not leave us in a boat without our rubbers… :unamused:

No Sharky:

Being without rubbers is precisely what would have caused the problem with maternity in the first place! :laughing:

Imaniou:

One thing. If you don’t think Geroge Bush is getting super amounts of shit then you haven’t been reading the newspapers. The main is treated as an idiot by everyone and his abilities are doubted precisely because he is rich, white and male. And I would add Republican. Therefore he must be cruel, selfish and have total contempt for the poor, minorities, women, etc. right? This despite the fact that Republicans were right to push welfare reform and who has benefited? The very people that were supposed to be pushed to the edge by such reform.

Can you seriously imagine that any women or black would be treated with the same amount of contempt by say the NY Times for example. Look at the way they tiptoe around Jesse Jackson and that total racist idiot Al Sharpton. When oh when has any serious presidential candidate instigated several racist attacks that have resulted in deaths, not been prosecuted and lived to run for president and have the media sidestep the issue? Give me a f—ing break.

Now to speak on a more conciliatory note, no one doubts Condi Rice’s abilities nor Colin Powell’s despite the fact that both are black and gasp one is a woman?! Compare this with the ludicrous appointments that Bill Clinton made just to what? fill a quota? which would you prefer? Talented people that just so happen to be black, Hispanic or a woman or women who may or may not be talented, blacks who may or may not be capable and Hispanics who may or may not have expertise in the particular area they were appointed to serve in?

Let’s look at people and not skin color or sex. In the States today, anyone with TALENT can and does get ahead. Whether they have an easy ride of it or not is highly doubtful but hey, if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Is it necessary to state the obvious?
:unamused:
If you want young women in office, then yeah, they’ll be PMSing, as women do who’ve not hit menopause. (Men PMS ALL the time, but they call that testosterone)

So, considering JFK was the youngest prezz at 42 (getting on up there for women), and this miserable failure Bush is pushing 60,
one should assume most female politicians are well past childbirthing age. Hilary Rodham is 57. And Oprah is almost 50!
:mrgreen:

[quote=“fred smith”]

Let’s look at people and not skin color or sex. In the States today, anyone with TALENT can and does get ahead. Whether they have an easy ride of it or not is highly doubtful but hey, if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.[/quote]

Hey Fred! We all thought YOU had talent. So, why are you such a loser like the rest of us? :wink:

It should be “get back in the kitchen.” (and make me some pie!)

Barefoot and pregnant.

The number of female members in government reflects a society’s general attitude toward women. There is a reason why countries such as Finland, Norway, and Sweden have the best gender representation in government and in the boardroom. These societies are more homogenous and communal with less social stratification, racial tensions, and income disparities than many Western European or American countries.

Regardless of political ideology, I think many Americans outside of the “beltway,” do not feel comfortable having a women at the helm, right or left. Changing these cultural attitudes takes a long time, and I think a minority president will be elected far before a woman president will.

Or barefoot and naked
:unamused:

Barefoot, pregnant, and naked.

And in the kitchen, baking pies.

theatlantic.com/issues/03sep … ffrage.htm

Some of the evaluations around here really make me want to barf. :x
What era are you living in?

And in the kitchen, baking pies.[/quote]

Thank god I can’t bake pies… :slight_smile:

I think that Chewy is correct, there are a few people in the states that can recognize a woman as a talented and qualified individual and therefore capable of running the nation, but many people are still not comfortable with the idea.

This is also evident in the legal profession… now at least in most law schools 50% of the classes are women, but I challenge you to find more than 5-10% of senior partners and or general counsels to be women. Also, look at the number of women on the boards of major fortune 500 companies. I remember (and this is off the top of my head so forgive me if the number is wrong) that less than 20-25% of all board directors are women.

I had the opportunity to sit next to Christine LaGarde at lunch a few years ago while she was in Taipei (she is the chairman of the worlds largest law firm) and she was talking about the gender in-equalities in the business world and or in the legal profession. It is still too often (and her firm is equally to blame although I did not get a chance to say it) that women are forced (either intentionally or by unseen societal pressures) to choose the professional track or the mommy track. If you choose profession you wait until you are 35-40 to have a family…if you choose family you have to forgo career options that would otherwise be open to you… BUT I DIGRESS HERE…

Anyway, women in politics I believe suffer some of the same pressures… in addition to the lack of political funding,

Has anyone looked up the PAC amounts given to Men vs Women… would be an interesting comparisson.

i]Alien wrote :Some of the evaluations around here really make me want to barf.
What era are you living in?[/i]

Please go and read my text closely. Do you have trouble reading sentence text more complicated than “Green Eggs and Ham?” :shock: I did not say “I think,” but rather “Most Americans.” It was an observation, not a personal opinion. You misread my statement. Go back to teaching at Hess. Good day.

Chewy

BTW… here is a link…

13% of the general counsels at Fortune 500 companies are women

law.com/jsp/cc/pubarticleCC. … 5463668851

Exactly. Laws change, but attitudes remain the same.

And FS, how few women are so unqualified to be senior partners and CEOs? The most capable individuals I know are women (proven again and AGAIN)
So, really what it is: a clash with the ‘good old boy network’.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Alien wrote :Some of the evaluations around here really make me want to barf.
What era are you living in?

Please go and read my text closely. Do you have trouble reading sentence text more complicated than “Green Eggs and Ham?” :shock: I did not say “I think,” but rather “Most Americans.” It was an observation, not a personal opinion. You misread my statement. Go back to teaching at Hess. Good day.
[/quote]

Do you have trouble reading as well? I did not say “Chewy, you make me want to barf.” :mrgreen:
Chewy, you have such enlightened views toward women. Do you really believe we hold up half the sky?

]Sharky wrote :Anyway, women in politics I believe suffer some of the same pressures[/i]

I don’t have any PAC figures, but a lobbyist friend of mine has told me on many occassions that not much has changed. Corporate America is still very much the “Old Boys Club.” Therefore, I can only conclude that wallets are much “looser” in a room full of penises. Of course, qualified woman and minorities are given positions of power, but I would say middle to upper management is 3/4 white, protestant, and male.

Regarding child birth, I agree. If they want fast-track promotion, childbirth will have to be delayed until the early 40s. However, I think that is becoming a trend now for most professionals these days.

In some countries, these old stereotypes and corporate structures are being slowly changed. However, outside beacons of progressivism such as San Fran and NY, I see this taking a damn long time in the US…I call it the “John Deere” factor.

[quote=“Alien”]Exactly. Laws change, but attitudes remain the same.

And FS, how few women are so unqualified to be senior partners and CEOs? The most capable individuals I know are women (proven again and AGAIN)
So, really what it is: a clash with the ‘good old boy network’.[/quote]
Some of the evaluations around here really make me want to barf.

reason.com/9610/fe.rodgers.shtml

How many women have spent thirty years running businesses in, say, the semiconductor industry? When they have, they’ll be qualified to sit on the boards. Until then, you and the nuns can rant all you want to about the “good old boy network”.