Women prefer strong men, say scientists

I would have assumed at least 1-2 might have preferred weaker looking bodies. But 160 isn’t a huge sample size and as others mentioned, they’re college age where I think we tend to all be a bit more shallow in our choices of partners.

Mmh, I might’ve just read the title. I’d say your guess would be on the mark if they quadrupled the sample size; Agree with everything.

I was trying to find the study it refers to but couldn’t and came across this instead.

I have no idea what that site is but this part really summed up my feelings :laughing: :

1 Like

I have found men and women who are gym rats to be uninteresting, as a generalization (I know there are exceptions). They typically eschew a deep conversation by brushing it off with bromides and platitudes, but will go on for tiresome hours about how many grams of protein and carbohydrates are in a candy bar. Here’s a story: I hit on this girl who was a bodybuilder when I lived in Hong Kong, and we became friends (not more) because she said I was ‘skinny fat’ – so one day she calls me and says she has a free day “off her diet” and do I want to accompany her to get some food. I said ok. We started at one end of Hong Kong Island, past Causeway Bay and she ate her way to the other side of the island at Sheung Wan, stopping to gorge on Indonesian food, a Thai whole fish, dumplings, desserts, then she went up the escalators to an American hamburger place and had a milkshake to wash it all down – it was the most disgusting display of gluttony I had ever seen.

sounds like hella fun to me.

3 Likes

I don’t see the issue either.

1 Like

The issue is rampant narcissism, they spend all their time trying to control their bodies so that they don’t have to think about other things. There is a happy medium of being healthy and not going overboard. Gyms are filled with mirrors for self-analysis, self-admiration, tons of guys on HGH, steroids. There was this dude who went to Oxford or Cambridge that was really intelligent and he became a bodybuilder and wrote a hilarious book about it called Muscle that shows how totally unhealthy it is. Funniest book ever. He puts on this brown tanning oil and it gets all over his toilet, all over his walls, bed, etc. He tries to get it on with this girl bodybuilder and their chests colliding is like two steel plates, so they just said let’s watch a movie. I recommend it https://www.amazon.com/Muscle-Confessions-Samuel-Wilson-Fussell/dp/1504002059

That’s true, if you were dating one of those types you would have to play second fiddle as they would be taking selfies, posting on IG and doing meal prep literally all day. but for a quickie who cares, enjoy the fit bod, the extravagant food date and move along!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yeah… for… “reproduction”…

1 Like

No. We’re pre-conditioned. It’s all perfectly logical and has little to do with social conditioning.

I heard in the old days girls preferred fat guys. Because it meant they didn’t have to work for a living.

Fat and strong aren’t necessarily different. If this thread has evolved into thin men do forgive me, I haven’t read all the posts.

1 Like

Men are attractive if they offer the potential of bringing home meat and securing a big cave, or they can provide proof of already having meat and a big cave.

This isn’t going to change anytime soon. People can kid themselves that they think differently, but they almost certainly don’t.

4 Likes

Sounds like a great day out to me. The logical next step would be to go back to her place and burn off some calories …

But yeah, fitness nuts do tend to ramble on about nothing except fitness. I’m guilty of it myself occasionally. Other conversational topics are available.

I read Fussell’s book years ago. It’s entertaining, but I think I’d take some of it with a pinch of salt.

And hopefully no androgen-induced surprises …

Nah, it was because they worked desk jobs and ate steak

If you want women, it pays to lift weights.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah I don’t think anyone takes any of these surveys seriously, well apart from opinion writers who need a few click every week.

I know that you probably mean “uninteresting to you” but you sound rather dismissive and also seem to link this particular hobby to narcissism, which I disagree with. I also don’t have a lot in common with people who are super passionate about working out but the same goes for all hobbies, because I’m the type who likes variety rather than delving deep into one subject. Neither type is wrong or uninteresting, they are just different from each other.

Aside from meal prep, I feel that these days, those types are definitely not limited to people going to the gym…

Yes, reading about the “latest science” in the regular news usually is rather disappointing, especially their interpretation of it. But this could’ve been a real study and then it would have been fun to read.

2 Likes

My favourites are the female joggers evening riverside runs, all the kit and selfie’s, no running

2 Likes