Women's baseball world cup -- in Tianmu this weekend

The 2006 Women’s Baseball World Cup is continuing at the Tianmu baseball stadium.

The only reason I know about this is that I happened to walk by the stadium the other day and decided to wander in to see if anything was going on. Japan was playing Canada – to a crowd that at least at first did not significantly outnumber the number of players on the field, which is a real shame because many of the players are pretty good and admission was free.

Today (Saturday) there are games at 10:30 a.m., 2:30, and 6:30. IIRC, the 2:30 game is Taiwan vs the United States. (The Taiwan team isn’t bad. Last night it kicked Canada’s ass.) And I think the 6:30 game is Austalia vs Canada. Sorry, I couldn’t find any more info on this. I think tomorrow (Sunday) is the final day.

So, if you’re looking for a way to pass the time this weekend, you could do a lot worse than going to a game.

To enter the park, you’ll have to go up to the second level and find a gate that’s open. Really, it’s pathetic how little advertised this is and how little guidance is given the fans. But don’t hold that against the players.