Wonderful Hot Spring Resort Near Nanzhuang, Miaoli County

This must be one of the best hot spring resorts I have seen in Taiwan. In fact, you might say this is what I expected of hot springs when I first heard about them in this country. The design is red brick, wood and stone. Not a cheap looking red brick, mind you, but the charming old fashioned kind. I wouldn’t be surprised if they re-used genuinely old bricks.

The whole resort feels south-east Asian tropical but the red brick style gives it a uniquely Taiwanese feel. The private rooms, also red brick, have big stone tubs (one hot, one cold) that two western people can comfortably fit in. Rooms have no windows at the back. Instead you have an open view over the river and mountains (there are bamboo curtains you can lower for privacy).

There were lots of nice little touches too, such as a sitting room for guest who paid for a private soak. Yes, after your soak, you can go upstairs sit on a deckchair and drink tea or coffee (and a few snacks) while looking at the mountains or the garden. As for the public area, there are multiple outdoor pools facing undeveloped mountains (no cables in sight).

The resort is quite large; the land used to be used for quarrying. It seems the cement company, rather than upgrade their operations to comply with tougher environmental standards, decided to turn the area into a hot spring resort. There was no natural spring in the area so they dug down to reach one. The water has a silky feel, with a slightly salty taste. Very nice.

The resort is just south of Nanzhuang about 10 minutes on the 124 (heading towards Penglai). It is called The East River Spa Garden. 037 825 285

eastriver.com.tw/

Nanzhuang, btw, is just south of Shitoushan, the mountain with all the temples on it.

wow looks like a real nice place. japanese style ?

Nanzhuang is located at the junction of two rivers, one coming in from the south (Hwy 124) and the other that comes in from the east. Taking the eastward road (No. 21) the valley narrows further upstream. On the left about 4 kms. from Nanzhuang is a small road that goes over the hills into the next valley at WuFung in Hsinchu County. This road has almost no one living along it and is a splendid place for hikers or bikers with good views all around. Going back to the No. 21 road as you head east the road and river turns sharply south and after another 10 or so kms. you will reach the last aboriginal community up in the hills. There are many homestays here with lots of wooden buildings and orchards. I didn’t stay there, but I hope to go back there again because it looked like a really magic place. On my recent visit, I hiked on a farm road behind the village and at the end of that a path goes to a peak at the back (2219 Meters), then along the ridge and down to Taian Hot Springs down the other side. Took about 8 hours. The path to the peak is okay, but the ridge path is a bit rough. The view from the peak is pretty compelling as you get a look at the Taian valley head waters, and about 2 kms to the East, LeShan peak can be seen with the radar station on the top of this mountain which looks over KwanWu and dominates the surrounding area.

You did the hike all the way to Taian? I’ve wanted to do that for ages.

BTW, the Saisayat Festival will be held in that 21 road area next month. It’s a strange aboriginal festival that celebrates the tribes’ defeat of a race of short people.

You did the hike all the way to Taian? I’ve wanted to do that for ages.

BTW, the Saisayat Festival will be held in that 21 road area next month. It’s a strange aboriginal festival that celebrates the tribes’ defeat of a race of short people.[/quote]

My Spouse did most of this trek last spring…This is what it looks like looking back down toward Nanzhuang.

I’ve been up the trail on the Taian side about 1.5 hours. Really gorgeous up there. The trail is called the Henglong Historical Trail and used to be a patrol route for the Japanese.

I’m really happy to hear it’s still doable as the typhoon two years ago really ripped Taian apart.

I also like that there are hot springs on either end of the trail. :sunglasses:

There are a few other paths on the way to the peak but well below the main ridge. One heads west and probably comes out on the Hwy. 124 and another path heads east and might be a way to Leshan which would be a nice way to get to KwanWu. I’ll dredge this thread up and add more info when I next get a chance to check these out

Miaoli county is called"shan cheng".
There are many hot sopts like this here.
nanzhuang is one of them.
You can visit the miaoli county government websit to get more information.
travel.miaoli.gov.tw/
I prefer manabang shan.

MJB -
Very beautiful scenic photo.

Just to add to my previous post, the right turn path on the way to the peak does indeed end up on the 124 Road which will take you back to Nanchuang. It’s quite a route as it leads you along an old logging train line ( the train tracks are still there and some mini bridges have been recently put in) for about 2kms and through a little mini pass right above that craggy ridge that MJB posted a photo of above. That means you get lots of views of that ridge line and the two valleys on either side. A well recommended two day hike since there’s quite a long Forestry Road to walk down once one reaches the end of the path.