Wooden cross

Looking to buy a wooden cross or crucifix. I don’t want to order online. Preferably around 12 to 30 inches with stand. Made of solid wood. Anyone know of a shop in Taipei or New Taipei selling religious items?

2 Likes

Maybe try St Paul’s? A small bookshop next to Taipei Main Station

5 Likes

Thank you that’s perfect.

5 Likes

Those Catholic parish I go to seems to have these items, rosaries, crucifix, crosses, statue of Mary and saints and all that. I think the nearest catholic parish will have them.

2 Likes

Church. You mean church. A parish is the area of outreach of a church.

3 Likes

I have only been to a few Catholic churches, and only in Taipei. If there is a church shop, sometimes it is mixed in with the Rectory (like its really just a shelf or a drawer). So, you would have to ask for it. It just doesnt seem to be a priority. St Chris at Zhongshan N Rd Sec 4 has a glass case with rosaries but I think that’s pretty much what they carry. Maybe you will find more at Fujen University in Xinzhuang - it is a Jesuit school after all. Or maybe check the Catholic university in Taichung, if you are based there.

Taipei’s Cathedral on Minsheng E Road (Shuanglian MRT) should also have something more than a typical parish, but I’ve never checked and the couple times I’ve been there, it seemed pretty sparse. Even that St Paul’s bookshop is very modest. I remember visiting a St Paul’s bookshop on Michigan Ave in downtown Chicago and though that was almost as small as the one in Taipei, it was packed with all kinds of stuff.

In short, we are grateful for what we might find here, but we don’t expect very much.

Taiwan isn’t a majority Christian country, so it wouldn’t be reasonable to expect much at all.

Heck I had no idea what ash Wednesday is because almost no Christians in Taiwan even practiced it.

1 Like

I may well not know as many Christians as you, Brother Luthiers, but the ones I do know seem to have fair awareness of it. (It happens to be this week, so maybe that’s why you mentioned it – sneaky!)

Here is a list of Catholic schools in Taiwan. It may not be complete, though

1 Like

there a religious bookstore called “Elim” on Zhongxiao E.Rd. which could be worth a try.
以琳書房
+886 2 2777 2560

2 Likes

One can still enter a parish.

EDIT: I get your point now. I still don’t agree with it.

1 Like

I guess it depends. This dictionary seems to equate it, among other things, with church:

PARISH Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com

I guess you’re referring to the second definition? In which case, I think you might be misreading it. I think the “with its field of activity” part there is essential, i.e., it’s talking about the church plus its area, with a similar meaning to the first definition, not just the church as a physical building/specific place one could go to to buy Catholic stuff.

Point is: “those Catholic parish” and “the nearest catholic parish” seem nonsensical to me too. The only way I’d read that is as an area/district, and I’ve no idea what that would mean either generally or in Taiwan specifically. It’s not like the country has a load of Catholic neighborhoods/districts/areas.

What don’t you agree with? The definition is correct (or at least it’s one of the correct definitions). Of course one can enter a parish, in the same way one can enter any other kind of district/area, but so what…?

1 Like

Well, then, I guess I’m just a sloppy reader. But I blame bad influences for my weakness:

Synecdoche Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Sorry, I don’t remember. I must have had some idea in my head.

1 Like

I will go and take at look at this shop. It’s at a convenient location too.

Incidentally if anyone is not aware the name of the shop is biblical
Elim, e’-llm (Heb.)-- terebinths; palm trees; trees; oaks . The second camping place of the Israelites after they crossed the Red Sea: “And they came to Elim, where were twelve springs of water, and threescore and ten palm trees: and they encamped there by the waters” (Exod. 15:27).

3 Likes