Words that make you cringe

“blogosphere”

“smell the glove”. That makes me cringe a little.

“cheers” used as a greeting/apology/goodbye

“sweety” My sister is so sweety!

“fashion” Wow those boots are very fashion!

“fancy” Did you see how many fancy go to his concert?

“Everybody…and I’m no exception”

“~” Hello~~That dog was so cute ~~~! I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO THIS!!!

“coz” “plz” “gonna”

I’ve learned somthing from this thread. Y’all are some picky people and at 13 pages and counting, there is no way that I’m gonna be able to please everyone. For the record, my cringeworthy words are:

1. lol
  2. panties (they are called underwear, ok?)

But, I promise I won’t hold it against any of you if you happen to use either one of these. Peace out.

Grow as a transitive verb. As in “We really need to grow revenues.” I swear I heard some commercial aimed at businessmen that said something like “Spend less time growing your business so you can spend more time growing your children.” WTF? We aren’t talking about turnips.

Ah, but maybe we are.

[quote=“Erhu”]I’ve learned somthing from this thread. Y’all are some picky people and at 13 pages and counting, there is no way that I’m gonna be able to please everyone. For the record, my cringeworthy words are:

1. lol
  2. panties (they are called underwear, ok?)

But, I promise I won’t hold it against any of you if you happen to use either one of these. Peace out.[/quote]

You can hold your panty thing against me anytime you like.

While we’re busy, let’s check your prostrate gland… :astonished:

for those who don’t know, this entails having a finger shoved up your butt…

take ownership of
due diligence
be the (anything)
learner
stay the course
make no mistake
touch base
'blog
e-mail (as a verb)
speak to (a topic) rather than speak to (a person)
gift (when not used as a noun)
bling bling
mad (when meaning a lot)
vetting a document
downsize
supersize

anything from this link
MBA jargon watch

[quote=“Erhu”]For the record, my cringeworthy words are:

2. panties (they are called underwear, ok?) [/quote]

But “panties” is such a sexy word, the dropping of which is guaranted to set horny guys panting.

And actually, I don’t know about American English, but in Britain “underwear” refers collectively to all undergarments (including bras, vests, slips, and whatnot), not just those skimpy little things you wear twixt flesh and skirt. Panties are a kind of “knickers”.

Which prompts me to add: Underpants are worn by men and boys and knickers by women and girls. Except when having fun with the language or talking about cross-dressers, I cringe when females refer to their knickers as underpants.

wicked as an adjective - it’s wicked cold outside

Wouldn’t that be “wicked” as an adverb?

Wouldn’t that be “wicked” as an adverb?[/quote]

I like “wicked”.

I think as used by Bodo it is an adjective. But, grammar is a weak spot for me, so, I could be wrong. Maybe even wickedly wrong.

I also like ‘wicked.’

One that REALLY makes me cringe, and I’m sure lots of you do it, so don’t be too angry…
Pronouncing the word ‘Homage’ as ‘ooomaaje.’ Are you French? Are you? It is Hom-idge.

In England there is a football player called Tierry Henry. He is French. And people go around calling him 'enri. It is so ghey because Henri Camara, who is Senegalese French, gets rightly called ‘Henry Camera.’ Ghey. Are we French? NON.
And there is some stupid bint on CNN who does the weather and INSISTS on saying each place name as the locals of that place would. “In Nee- cu- agwa…” “In Paareee…” GHEY GHEY GHEY!

Say it in your own accent, stop foreigning it up.

That brings me to “niche”. Some pronounce it “neesh” - ooh la la! Are we Fransh? C’est “nitch”!

Or those who call a vase a “vaahz”. Sacre bleu!

And yes, I agree about those who, say, pronounce Spanish names with a Spanish accent when their ordinary speech is run-of-the-mill English, yet use an ordinary accent whn speaking about non-Spanish places or people: “Ma-rrria Gohn-THA-less just returned from Nee-ca-RRRA-wa, and then went with Klaus Holsteen to Heidelberg. This is Rrroh-SEE-ta Johnson reporting from Lohs AN-heh-less, California.”

[quote=“NeonNoodle”]anything from this link
MBA jargon watch[/quote]

Hell YEAH!! I have recently been afflicted with a sad and pathetic condition that forces me to sit down with my dinner at 9pm every night, and watch “The Apprentice” on Channel 70 (Videoland),

Whenever one of those monstrously feebly whingily bitchy Captains Of Industry-wannabes utters “110%”, “step up to the plate”, “bring to the table” etc., I feel this uncontrollable urge to actually eat my own face.

But what can I do? I’m addicted to this damn show (and it’s the RE-RUNS!!!).

And in other news, what’s wrong with calling a vase a vaahz?! My aahnt caahn’t daahnce in the baahthroom with a giraahffe holding a vaahse!

I cringe everytime I hear 'Erbs… its HERBs got it!?

Aloominun is almost as bad… its Alum-inium god damn it. - The guy who isolated it was Brit ok… not American.

How funny! As I was reading through the last few posts, I was just thinking that I must mention the grating Americanish pronunciation of herbs, with the aitch dropped like the gutter speech of a semi-literate cockney (if you want to try to ape the French, go the whole way and get the vowel sound correct as well), and there I find you’ve already added it to our collection. On reflection, I think that 'orrid butchering of the word makes me cringe more than any other crime against pronunciation.

I absolutely agree with you on this one, too.

:laughing: I just came in here with a mind to post the very same thing, seriously! It’s not really all Americans though, it seems to be a regional thing, albeit a bloody big area gauging by the number of people that (mis)prounounce it. Which region is it?

HG

Somewhere on Forumosa is a thread devoted to the Al-U-Min-i-um vs Alu-min-um controversy.

As I remember, proof was shown that the latter pronunciation was indeed the correct one.
Perhaps one of the search engine geniuses could find a link to these postings?