Work Clarification Needed

Hi,

Even though I’m new here I’ve been lurking for awhile. I’ve also read tons of posts here and information elsewhere about my question. The problem is I’m still confused.

I recently married a Chinese lady and we live in Taiwan. I’m in the final stages of getting my JFRV and ARC - health check is Monday and FBI report is on its way back from the Taiwan consulate in Washington.

I understand that once all that gets settled then I can legally work in Taiwan as I don’t need a work permit. Even though I don’t really need to teach English it would be a good way to make a little extra money and like most people - extra money is good especially starting a new life and new family. I do not have a 4 year degree. As you can imagine I don’t want to get deported for illegally teaching English.

I understand that my ARC is different than someone who is coming here for work. I also understand the difference between the word “okay”. It’s okay for me to teach in a cram school because they won’t deport me because I’m married to a citizen (but still illegal and they COULD deport me) is different than it’s okay for me to teach in a cram school because it’s 100% perfectly legal.

I know that if a school applies for the ARC for you then they have to show the required degree for the work permit. But I don’t need one. I can’t find anything on government websites that says to teach in a private English school you have to have a degree besides those people coming specifically to be teachers.

I know there are differences in the limits between work and marriage ARCs too. For example I believe that if I could teach legally that I could teach without limit to the number of hours or number of schools I teach at. I also know I could get a legal job at a 7-11 or selling TVs at a store or whatever.

The bottom line here is this: I’ve got a new family. This is my home for the foreseeable future (several years at least). I’d love to have the option to make some extra money but not at the risk of being separated from my family. I also know from past experience it’s hard to get a straight answer on a lot of things in Taiwan.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Mark

You still need a degree to teach English, MOE will ask for it. Been there, done that.
You still need to meet the MOE’s qualifications to teach.

If she’s Chinese, you won’t be eligible for a JFRV - she must be Taiwanese in order to qualify. (If you’re talking about Chinese ethnicity, that’s irrelevant to her status here - it’s only her nationality that’s important.)

With a JFRV ARC, you’re eligible to work any place that will hire you, buxibans included. You have the same work rights as Taiwanese, and while there might be a regulation in place that requires a degree, it isn’t actively enforced with either Taiwanese or foreigners. I don’t know what saddletramp is going on about.

Welcome to Taiwan!

She’s Taiwanese.

[quote=“Maoman”]

With a JFRV ARC, you’re eligible to work any place that will hire you, buxibans included. You have the same work rights as Taiwanese, and while there might be a regulation in place that requires a degree, it isn’t actively enforced with either Taiwanese or foreigners. I don’t know what saddletramp is going on about. [/quote]

So to clarify they don’t enforce this for people with a JFRV ARC (but they could including deportation) but it is still a requirement (to have a degree) but they do enforce it for people teaching English on a work only ARC?

Do Taiwanese people have to have a degree to teach English in cram schools? What about BoPoMoFo/Math/Science cram schools?

I have a friend that was in a school in Taipei that was raided but I don’t know if he has a degree or not. According to him everyone else was deported but because he had a JFRV ARC there was nothing done on him.

At what point does the MOE ask to see the degree?

Is the degree requirement only for teaching in a “school” or for any teaching English for example 1-1 at someone’s house or in the park or on Skype?

Thanks again.

I don’t think the answer is ever going to be very clear from what the folks on here understand, but here’s my armchair take on it.

When you (as a JFRV holder) work at a cram school without a degree, you’re not breaking any actual law. I don’t believe the law requires cram school “teachers” to have a degree. I feel that there might be “regulations” (inasmuch as the cram school industry is regulated) requiring teachers have degrees, and you would be committing an infraction rather than a criminal offense (kinda like driving without a license in Taiwan…)

A work permit holder, on the other hand, is required to have a degree just to get a work permit. It’s got nothing to do with the school; it’s a requirement of getting a work permit as an English teacher (other jobs and their associated work permits can - and do - lack this requirement).

Your friend’s school that was raided probably didn’t have permission to hire foreigners in the first place. Perhaps they all had ARCs for different schools. In that case, they were violating the terms of their employment visas and were deported accordingly. Your friend doesn’t have to comply with any such terms and if he were found working at an illegal (i.e. unlicensed) cram school it would be more likely that the school itself would be fined for not following the regulations in its own industry. His own employment there should be treated as that of a Taiwanese.

For your other questions - regarding non-school teaching, there’s no regulation on this, and since you’re on a JFRV you can do whatever you want in this respect. You are supposed to declare the income for taxation purposes but most people wouldn’t since you’d be getting paid in cash with no paper trail.

If she’s Chinese, you won’t be eligible for a JFRV - she must be Taiwanese in order to qualify. (If you’re talking about Chinese ethnicity, that’s irrelevant to her status here - it’s only her nationality that’s important.)

With a JFRV ARC, you’re eligible to work any place that will hire you, buxibans included. You have the same work rights as Taiwanese, and while there might be a regulation in place that requires a degree, it isn’t actively enforced with either Taiwanese or foreigners. I don’t know what saddletramp is going on about.

Welcome to Taiwan![/quote]

I worked a part time gig at GVO, teaching conversation two hours a week. The first two months went by without a hassle, then the boss lady from Taipei called and said that she needed my degree. She said that although you don’t need it for a work permit, or for your visa, the MOE was auditing them and said that I still must provide the degree.

I don’t know if they are still enforcing this, or more likely, depends on which gov bonehead is on duty that day. YMMV

Edit: I think spaints post is correct. You are not breaking a law, but a MOE regulation.
You won’t be deported for it, but maybe they could fine you or the school.

If you have an open work permit, or JFRV or whatever, I understand the schools hire you as a “consultant” and not a “teacher”. Teaching credentials are a non-issue at cram schools.

Yes, you technically “need” a BA to teach in a cram school, but Taiwanese concepts of law are fairly slippery compared to what you might be used to. In realistic terms, i.e. in terms of enforcement policies, if you have the JFRV then you are pretty bulletproof. You can work at a buxiban, and you won’t get deported. Just don’t volunteer unnecessary information nudge wink.