Work Permit with old DUI?

Hi everyone,

So as a dumb kid I got a DUI. Will my work permit be approved with this on my record? I’m guessing they are looking for more dangerous offences like sexual predator etc but I can’t seem to find an answer. Thank you very much for any responses.

A post was merged into an existing topic: There go our reputations… :doh:

I wish I could give you a solid answer, but in my anecdotal experience my friend from the US with a DUI got rejected and my Canadian friend with a DUI got accepted. I don’t know that that means.

I think if you’ve been in enough trouble to go to court and get charged with anything and it hasn’t been expunged, it might be an issue.

If you’re Canadian and get your criminal record check thing from the RCMP, it will tell you on the report they give you if you’ll pass the work permit.

googling “will DUI appear on FBI background check” comes back with yes and no answers.
You can try to get it expunged.
If you’re in Taiwan, you probably just have to roll the dice and pray a lot.

Thanks for the response. I am Canadian so I suppose I’ll juat get the RCMP check done and see what happens.

A recruiter just got back to me from Taipei and told me that he called the labour board and they said a DUI would be okay. Not sure if I can trust that based on the different stories I’ve heard haha.

that’s about as close an answer you’ll get without asking or visiting that department yourself

I think that means they, especially recruiters, want people to just apply regardless and just see if the system accepts it or not. Some people get it some don’t.

1 Like

Make sure it’s the police check where they take your finger prints. It can’t be a “police record certificate” from your local station. You need to have your fingerprints taken from a larger RCMP branch with a fingerprint computer thingy that gets sent to Ottawa. I learn this the hard way.

As soon as they take your prints you should be able to know the results. If nothing shows up in the computer you should be good to go.

Have you ever had your fingerprints taken by police before? If you haven’t you’ll definitely pass.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I honestly can’t remember if I have had my fingerprints taken. The DUI was well over a decade ago.