Work permit

Hello guys, I’m a girl and I’m in taiwan since 4 months, with a visitor visa ( with extension ) since Im studying chinese, and I’ve been looking for a job, but couldnt find a job who can provide a work permit, even for teaching, I speak english and french but Im not a native speaker, is it that hard for companies to provide work permit for people who are from morocco or africa generally ? do you know where I can find a job legally ? thank you in advance

It’s tricky if you are from Morocco. You can’t really teach English. Do you have any particular skills?

1 Like
1 Like

You can check for what companies can get work permit here.

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/Content_List.aspx?n=3840722B002ADEAB

If you already have a degree, school can get a work permit for you to teach Arabic, an official language of your country.

If you are a full time student of a degree course, you can get a part-time work permit for student.

If you are a language school student, you can get the same work permit after a year of stay.

1 Like

hello, i used to teach english in morocco but only in kindergarten, and I had many interviews in taiwan but they told me that Its impossible to provide a work permit unless you’re a native speaker from the 5 countries ( canada, south africa, au…) so Im wondering if its the same for all the jobs…

it is half correct. The language that a foreign teacher teaches should be an official language of the country issuing the teacher’s passport. It is not limited to only 5 countries, though.

1 Like

hey, thank you for your reply, but I already tried to apply from WDA, and they were asking me for an ID student number, only students who have a visa student or a resident visa, can apply for it, and I can apply for a resident visa, but after 4 months, not now :sweat_smile: I have only a student id and it didnt work with it.

Just to add on, @tando is correct, so getting a work permit to teach English is not an option for a person with a passport from Morocco. If you have skills in any other area, you can try to find a job in such area. If you’re written English is very strong and you have a degree in a subject which usually leads to white collar professions (e.g. Law, Economics, etc.), it is possible to get a job as an editor for companies that do a lot of overseas business. It is much harder when you come from a country where English is not an official language, but it isn’t strictly barred by labor law.

1 Like

thank you for your answer, but I was talking about english and french. because they’re very available here, I’ve never seen someone asking for an arabic teacher, kind of very rare in Taiwan…

Thank you for your reply, I have a bachelor in finance, and experience in sales, so I applied for jobs that require the languages that I speak, but still couldnt find a job, so I thought that may be there is some restrictions for my country or something …

I would guess your English isn’t strong enough for a marketing position. There’s a lot of competition these days.

1 Like

I would tend to agree. There are a lot of highly qualified foreigners from other continents. There are no legal restrictions on hiring individuals from Africa, but in practice, all things being equal, companies will generally hire the candidate from Europe, India, North America, etc. Many large companies have found that it is difficult for many Africans to gather all of the required paperwork for their work visa, and it makes them less prone to want to hire them.

1 Like

Ok I see. thank you all for the informations.

Just in case you’re really desperate would you be interested in working at a Moroccan restaurant?

2 Likes

if you are interested in teaching Arabic, check language centers associated to universities. Some may have Arabic courses, and they might be recruiting a teacher on their webpage. It must be a very rare position, though.

1 Like

I know what are you talking about but I dont want to be around moroccan people, otherwise I wouldnt leave Morocco haha but thank you so much anyway

1 Like

There maybe some freelance gigs for Arabic and French native speakers in Taiwan.

1 Like