Work Rules For English Teachers

sandman: What could the neighbour prove though, unless the walls are paper thin and he records the lesson? Even then though, the tutor could claim that it was for free for a friend or part of a language exchange (the other half to be conducted elsewhere). It’s not against the law to have a foreigner come over to someone’s apartment.

Sure. Neighbour doesn’t have to “prove” jack shit, though. All he has to do is tell the cops his neighbour’s employing an illegal worker.
As I said, a sticky situation, not an impossible one. But let’s see the client continuing retaining your services after a spat like that. Seen it happen.

Sure. Neighbour doesn’t have to “prove” jack shit, though. All he has to do is tell the cops his neighbour’s employing an illegal worker.
As I said, a sticky situation, not an impossible one. But let’s see the client continuing retaining your services after a spat like that. Seen it happen.[/quote]

I’ve seen it happen to my best buddy. It almost happened to me as well, except I had a JFRV visa (thank god)…

Fair enough. It seems a little over the top, though never underestimate how crazy things can get, I guess.

I don’t do privates (even though I have a JFRV) for other reasons. I have one, but he’s a kid who grew up in Australia, though I’m looking to drop him like a hot potato soon anyway.

Don’t be so silly. Angry Taiwanese neighbours with a bone to pick are NEVER over the top! As IF! :laughing:

Fair enough, but would they know immigration law and would the police really take them seriously though?

Ratting out illegal workers taken seriously? You betcha! Its by far the most common way for illegals to get caught here.

I know someone who tried to rat out illegals but even after much prodding, the police still didn’t care.

Like I said. Seen it happen.

That will/would greatly disappoint the person I know who has been trying.

Yes. I’ve been “ratted out” for supposedly running an illegal office, cops showed up early in the morning, went through the whole place (finding, obviously, nothing but the piles of dirty laundry that every office keeps on hand), and I still had to shell out money to appear before an administrative hearing about alleged tax violations. All these accusations were reported ANONYMOUSLY by a Taiwanese national, without any evidence at all. So yes, as a foreigner you have no rights and no one will believe you (unless your laundry speaks for itself, that is.) :smiley:

:astonished:

You know, my mom used to warn me about this when I was a kid, but I had no idea it was true until now. Does yours get up and walk around as well as talk?

If I could have gotten it a license to busk in the night market my work permit worries would have been over.

Hi everyone!
thank you for the thread! it’s very useful!
I have a quick question that really concern me!

I got an email from a school in Taoyuan County offering me a teaching position. I’m very confused because I’m Colombian, I’m not a native English speaker but I hold a TEFL certification and my accent is pretty American. The point is that I had read that you must be from the native speaking countries in order to be hired as a teacher in a cram school.

But some other people had told me that is possible to teach being Colombian…
Do you have some information about this?

[quote=“helsic”]Hi everyone!
thank you for the thread! it’s very useful!
I have a quick question that really concern me!

I got an email from a school in Taoyuan County offering me a teaching position. I’m very confused because I’m Colombian, I’m not a native English speaker but I hold a TEFL certification and my accent is pretty American. The point is that I had read that you must be from the native speaking countries in order to be hired as a teacher in a cram school.

But some other people had told me that is possible to teach being Colombian…
Do you have some information about this?[/quote]
You can’t get a work permit to teach English if you only have a Colombian passport. Many non-native speakers get teaching jobs because they already have a JFRV/APRC visa which means they don’t need a work permit.

I’m applying for a new teaching job. I went over their contract and it says that since it’s a part-time job, they will not cover health insurance.

Is there a law that says a company has to provide health insurance after minimum number of work hours?

Also, has anyone ever heard of a contract that states the school can “terminate” a class if it’s less than 6 students?

[quote=“J_Z”]

Also, has anyone ever heard of a contract that states the school can “terminate” a class if it’s less than 6 students?[/quote]

Fairly normal in private language schools.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“J_Z”]

Also, has anyone ever heard of a contract that states the school can “terminate” a class if it’s less than 6 students?[/quote]

Fairly normal in private language schools.[/quote]

It’s bizarre to me because I observed a class before I looked at their contract and that class started with three students, and no one did anything. And from what I gathered from the instructor, it was not abnormal.

Anyhow, my priority is finding out about health insurance and the law that states that there’s a minimum number of work hours needed in order for the company to provide insurance. It’s odd to me because the company wants me to work at two separate locations (two part-time jobs). One location is 3 days a week, and the other location is 2 days a week. So in total it’s a full-time job but one location claiming that the contract is for a part-time job. So, two part-time contracts? It seems like I’m being shorted in some way by having two part-time contracts instead of one full-time contract.

[quote=“J_Z”][quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“J_Z”]

Fairly normal in private language schools.[/quote]

It’s bizarre to me because I observed a class before I looked at their contract and that class started with three students, and no one did anything. And from what I gathered from the instructor, it was not abnormal.

Anyhow, my priority is finding out about health insurance and the law that states that there’s a minimum number of work hours needed in order for the company to provide insurance. It’s odd to me because the company wants me to work at two separate locations (two part-time jobs). One location is 3 days a week, and the other location is 2 days a week. So in total it’s a full-time job but one location claiming that the contract is for a part-time job. So, two part-time contracts? It seems like I’m being shorted in some way by having two part-time contracts instead of one full-time contract.[/quote]

They need to cover your pay with a minimum number of students.

Yeah, they are screwing you with health insurance. There’s not a huge amount you can do, if you really want the job, though.

The most I can do is negotiate … if they really want me as a teacher :slight_smile: