Work visa: can an MSc civil engineer (or high school teacher) become self-employed?

You should apply to foreign companies - meaning companies in Spain or Netherlands or somewhere in Europe with branches here, with operations here. Local enterprises balk at the “cost” of hiring foreigners and the “troublesome” work permit application.

Not to mention foreigners don’t fit the corporate culture (ie be willing to work 80+ hours with no additional pay, be on call 24/7, the company is your priority, nothing else matters, even breathing).

I have done both, applied directly in their websites for positions in Taiwan and contacted local HR (and not local).

So difficult is to be hired? Haha

I am gonna publish something like:
If you hire me, you don’t need to pay me a salary, I will pay all the costs for the visa process and my work will be worth it"

I am gonna publish my CV here and, in case someone know directly companies, friends, colleagues… it would be a pleasure if my CV is shared with whoever…

problem is it can be hard to get a job that a local can do, unless you come here as a language teacher. Seeing that the most common salary here is 30,000 a month they think you’ll demand at least double that, and that alone will make them not want to hire you.

I think more than the salary, the language will be involved too…

However I am getting more attraction these weeks than the others…

I will continue trying…

1 Like

Years ago I got a cold call for a geology related job. What failed my interview is the fact that my written Chinese skill is basically at an elementary level. No way I can type up reports in Chinese in reasonable time.

Finally did you find a job in Taiwan?

Maybe we could set up a business together. I don’t know so much about geology in offshore foundations for windfarms, but being a consultancy company based on that for green energy companies is a great idea…

I don’t have a job. I have this fear of working for any Taiwanese, like I’ll always be told that I am no good, they’ll pay me peanuts, etc. and given my lack of Chinese skills, or at least not at the same level as an average Taiwanese, employment opportunities so far has been limited to retail, and I don’t want to work in retail.

Right now I am in the business of making custom guitars and guitar repair, but so far customers have been rather hard to come by. So if there’s something I could do in a partnership with someone else that could make me more money, I’d be all for it.

I know Taiwan has some off shore wind farms, no idea what companies deal with it but it seems to be something the current administration is willing to invest in. I only have a very general understanding of the geology of Taiwan, and my field experience is still rather limited.

But I can learn a lot on the job…

I worked for an onshore company for 4 months, before the second wave of the pandemic broke out and I was out of work.

Just today I received a message from a work colleague who worked for Siemens Gamesa, one of the companies that is dealing with offshore wind farms in Taiwan.

Next week he will most likely contact me with a job offer. His thing would be to tell him if I can enter the Taiwanese market.

I think a profile like yours would fit too…

Contact me through LinkedIn, I think I left the link in some messages above and we talked…

1 Like

I just sent you a message through linked in.

I don’t do much with linkedin because I have never gotten work related contacts through it, though I bet if I ever try to apply for a job that’s what they look at.

But my other skill set includes some mechanical engineering work, but I’m not all too familiar with CAD tools… mostly an old fashioned paper drafting guy. It’s why I’m able to make my own guitars and do machining…

That seems to be your most likely company, riding on the wave of new energy projects

1 Like

I have worked for Nordex Energy group, I follow Vestas, Enercon, Siemens Gamesa, Orsdt and other… but just have contacts from those other companies…

The salaries in wind energy are pretty good, around 5k eur per month, all the expenses covered. At least that was with Nordex…

I think in other wind energies the conditions would be rather similar…

The problem with the windfarms atm is that they are trying to localise the supply chain. The county governments have requirements that foreign companies hire a certain number of locals and produce the equipment in Taiwan. A friend of mine wrote their Master’s thesis on this topic and I edited it.

1 Like

Oh that is interesting.
However I don’t think they will hire just locals right?
Your friend is working for them?
Or can I contact him? Or you?

We could have a talk in LinkedIn :blush:

She is also a foreigner and couldn’t find a job. Probably worse in her case as she is overseas chinese and can read and write chinese fluently.

Yipes.

Oh okay.
And anyone can tell me what are the requirements to apply for a gold card programme?

I think there’s a whole thread on gold card

1 Like

can also ask here:
https://tw.forumosa.com/t/set-up-a-company-in-taiwan-to-get-work-permit-and-arc-legally/186718
or here:

What about the rep office option?
If you are on that ARC, can it be easily changed to a work based one say if the OP finds employment?