Worker safety

I’m seeing all kinds of complete disregard to worker safety in Taiwan.

I saw a scooter shop stick welding, guys not wearing a hood at all (not to mention welding some thin metal with 3/32 sticks, but that’s besides the point). I mean weld arc is insanely bright and the arc gives you sunburn. I’m wondering if the worker would claim laobao or whatever if he goes blind from this? Besides how do you weld well if you can’t see what you’re welding?

There’s a real motorcycle shop who mig welds and he’s wearing proper PPE, and also auto darkening welding mask is cheap as shit.

My question is, why aren’t people taking safety seriously?

Taiwanese person asks foreigners why Taiwanese people don’t care about safety.

It’s as chabuduo as it gets in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Errm… aren’t you still welding in your bedroom?

I’ve no idea what kind of PPE you use while you do this, or while using your machine tools, or while doing the chemistry stuff you’ve mentioned before, but none of those struck me as particularly safe either. Honestly, I had pretty much the same question:

So what’s the answer?

My guess (in general when I’ve seen these obviously unsafe practices in Taiwan, China, and elsewhere — not specifically directed at you) would be a combination of cluelessness, limited regulation, and valuing speed and low cost over safety.

I see that all the time as well. Working machines without safety goggles, masks, hearing protection, arm/skin protection etc. It’s pretty wild. I get it slows down progress and is usually uncomfortable. But so is being blind, deaf, amputated etc.

Aside from the Mei ban fa and cha bu duo culture, the Ying gai bu huai culture is even more ripe!

Not sure if I got the pinyin right.

Lack of training and education. Low fines and lack of control or just hong baos.

How does that work for the self empoyeed? Hong bao to themselves while they suffer debilitating injuries?

My money is on intelligence, which by proxy seems a lack of education.

Factory safety measures and the like are a different story.

Well some building workers with flip flops

I wouldn’t ever wear gloves near moving machines. They can get caught in things.

I mean most the PPE kinda does get in the way, but for welding, you absolutely must have masks or goggles. You need to see what you’re welding for one, and also that light will blind you instantly.

Yesterday channel flipping on TV. Landed on a show discussing a small factory (forgot what type). An employee was interviewed and said this is one of the most dangerous industries in Taiwan. Next image is him fixing some equipment in the factory. He is about 20 meters up in the factory welding. Sparks flying everywhere. Not one piece of safety equipment. If he thought was dangerous why not at least wear a welding face guard? or welding glasses?

An auto darkening welding mask is literally 100nt from taobao. It’s unbelievably cheap. I don’t understand why people won’t wear them, or why isn’t the workplace requiring them. How can you make a good weld if you can’t see what you’re welding? Even stick welding you must read the puddle.

You do welding projects bare handed? Thicker skin than I. But I see many taiwa ese doing the same. I do my work often without huge government liability oversight measures as well. Trouble is, once we get injured we expect the public bank to pay for it. Fair?

Not to distract from the actual danger. But, by proxy, if one is welding above water it isn’t the most dangerous job here. In fact, it’s often quite safe as far as shit jobs go. Point being, welders get the machines turned off while they work. Not everyone gets that “luxury” :frowning:

All of this welding talk reminded me of growing up in Texas in a city with a very good vocational school. They had an underwater welding department. They only graduated about 10-12 people per year. Demand for those obtaining their license was very high. There was a waiting list for graduates with companies waiting 2 -3 years for graduates.

No, but I wear TIG gloves because I TIG weld, and stick glove is far too heavy. I tried welding bare handed once and I won’t do it again. That arc will sunburn you.

The person I see welding is wearing gloves, but he’s not wearing a mask, and not only that, he is welding what looks like less than 2mm thick, using a 3/32 stick and setting the welder to about 90 amps. You are going to burn through that metal very quickly, and it’s harder to do if you can’t see the puddle.

They make smaller sticks, I got a pack of 1mm, 1.2mm, 1.6mm sticks for exactly this purpose, so I can stick weld thin materials. You set the current based on the size of your stick, not material thickness. Those sticks need a certain amount of amps in order to maintain a stable arc.

Ya, that’s a whole different level. Hence my pointing out above water. But I suppose outer atmosphere welding is also next level :upside_down_face: on dry earth land, it’s relatively straight forward.

Outer atmosphere welding is way easier. For one thing you don’t need shielding gas, you just need a tungsten electrode and you can just weld. Electrons will also jump gaps in vacuum without air getting in the way. Also some materials may weld itself without even trying in a vacuum.

Is there any OSHA type organization to report unsafe work conditions to?