Workers in MRT project go nuts

Speculation abounds that a former high-ranking official at the Presidential Office peddled influence to lobby for the importation of foreign workers for the million-dollar project and received kickbacks from labor brokers.

Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) Chairwoman Chen Chu (陳菊) has said that she believes it was logical that some “powerful individual” was behind the matter.

Critics have also lambasted Hsieh over his alleged indifference to foreign laborer’ being treated like slaves. Cho said that it was not a problem of negligence.

“No foreign laborers have been complaining about the way they have been treated. That is also a fact,” he said.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003269185

Chewycorns wrote:
Today’s Taipei Times mentions that CLA Chairwoman Chen Chu has mentioned that “some powerful” individual was behind the matter. Speculation abounds that a former high-ranking official at the Presidential Office peddled influence for the importation of foreign workers for the million-dollar project and received kickbacks from labor brokers.
DPP Justice Alliance? Twisted I’ll side with the New Tide on this issue, although its the usual scapegoating.

Frank Hsieh?

I think we have a winner of the “Annette Lu award for racial sensitivity”:

[quote]Liao Kuo-tung (廖國棟), a convener of the hygiene, environment and social welfare committee in the Legislature, suggested that the government employ more aborigines on large-scale infrastructure construction projects.

Liao noted that under the foreign labor policy, the introduction of foreign workers is meant to offset the labor shortage in the lower levels of the labor market. However, Taiwan’s unemployment rate has been relatively high in recent years, but the number of foreign laborers has been increasing significantly, reflecting an absurd foreign labor policy.

Liao said he wondered whether it was a case where aborigines do not want to take such jobs, or if the KRTC just wanted to bring in the foreign workers at a lower cost.[/quote]
Of course, the idea of ethnic Chinese doing manual labour didn’t cross his mind … :unamused:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
Frank Hsieh? [/quote]

Perhaps. Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) publicly denied that his father was involved in the import of foreign laborers. Chen’s father, Chen Che-nan (陳哲男), is a former Democratic Progressive Party legislator who had also served as a deputy secretary-general at the Presidential Office.

Chen’s denial came after some newspapers reported that a former senior official at the Presidential Office and many legislators had dominated and profiteered from the import of foreign laborers.

etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/Society/2 … 020475.htm

From yesterday’s Taipei Times:

[quote] Meanwhile, Cabinet Spokesman Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) yesterday spoke on behalf of Hsieh in response to allegations concerning the “high-ranking DPP official.”
Critics have also lambasted Hsieh over his alleged indifference to foreign laborer’ being treated like slaves. Cho said that it was not a problem of negligence.

“No foreign laborers have been complaining about the way they have been treated. That is also a fact,” he said.[/quote]

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003269185

No workers have complained because the know they’ll be deported if they do. :raspberry:

[quote=“david”]I think we have a winner of the “Annette Lu award for racial sensitivity”:

[quote]Liao Kuo-tung (???), a convener of the hygiene, environment and social welfare committee in the Legislature, suggested that the government employ more aborigines on large-scale infrastructure construction projects.
…[/quote]
Of course, the idea of ethnic Chinese doing manual labour didn’t cross his mind … :unamused:[/quote]

Hang on a second, Liao is an Aboriginal legislator. He’s trying to play to his own constituency

Look at what Annette Lu said today:

“We have to appreciate people who contribute to Taiwan no matter what their nationality. We have to see workers from other countries as our brothers and sisters rather than just as foreigners,” she said.

:smiling_imp: Shit! I would never talk to my sister or brother again if they struck me with a cattle prod, didn’t pay me money owed to me, prohibited me from drinking or smoking, or refused me credit cards or phone lines because of my race. With family like that – who needs enemies? Will make a good tourism commercial though. Taiwan – Prodding you to never return.
Don’t get me wrong – I love living here. Just sometimes the government is so friggin stupid. Personnel from the Presidential Office (who were transferred to the ministry where I previously worked at) sure didn’t treat me like a brother or sister. They treated me different from all other employees – strictly because of my status as a non-ROC citizen. :raspberry:

[quote=“zhujianlun”]He’s trying to play to his own constituency

Look at what Annette Lu said today:

“We have to appreciate people who contribute to Taiwan no matter what their nationality. We have to see workers from other countries as our brothers and sisters rather than just as foreigners,” she said.

:smiling_imp: Shit! I would never talk to my sister or brother again if they struck me with a cattle prod, didn’t pay me money owed to me, prohibited me from drinking or smoking, [color=green]or refused me credit cards or phone lines because of my race[/color]. With family like that – who needs enemies? Will make a good tourism commercial though. Taiwan – Prodding you to never return.
Don’t get me wrong – I love living here. Just sometimes the government is so friggin stupid. Personnel from the Presidential Office (who were transferred to the ministry where I previously worked at) sure didn’t treat me like a brother or sister. They treated me different from all other employees – strictly because of my status as a non-ROC citizen. :raspberry:[/quote

No credit card/phone lines for foreigners cos we are high risk of leaving and no way of tracking us down for the outstanding payments. Nothing racial nor prejudiced, just plain common sense. For credit card, either get a Taiwanese guarantor, or place a fixed deposit in the bank equivalent to your credit limit. As for fixed land phone line, I got it without a problem, so not quite sure what you’re talking about? For mobile phone, then just get a pre-paid one. Is this your first time living/working in a foreign country? It’s the same wherever you go, it’s not just TW being difficult with foreigners - all countries are to a certain degree.

[quote=“mlpgd”]
No credit card/phone lines for foreigners cos we are high risk of leaving and no way of tracking us down for the outstanding payments. Nothing racial nor prejudiced, just plain common sense. For credit card, either get a Taiwanese guarantor, or place a fixed deposit in the bank equivalent to your credit limit. As for fixed land phone line, I got it without a problem, so not quite sure what you’re talking about? For mobile phone, then just get a pre-paid one. Is this your first time living/working in a foreign country? It’s the same wherever you go, it’s not just TW being difficult with foreigners - all countries are to a certain degree.[/quote]

You don’t have even the [i]slightest[/i] clue about this is all about, do you? :unamused:

[quote=“mlpgd”]No credit card/phone lines for foreigners cos we are high risk of leaving and no way of tracking us down for the outstanding payments. Nothing racial nor prejudiced, just plain common sense. For credit card, either get a Taiwanese guarantor, or place a fixed deposit in the bank equivalent to your credit limit. [/quote] Personally, I don’t need to worry. My wife gets my cards. I still think it is a stupid law. Banks should judge your job contract, time spent in Taiwan, and your personal wealth. The banks are inflexible and should be forced to get into the 21 Century.

:smiling_imp: I’ve lived abroad for half of my human life. Again, the land line and mobile phone – no problem for me. But it is not that way for every foreigner. All countries difficult? Britain (before I was granted citizenship) – no problem with banking, credit card, Belgium – same, Singapore – same, Australia – same. Then again, I’ve never lived in Laos, Myanmar, or Sri Lanka. :smiling_imp: Newbie?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]

:smiling_imp: I’ve lived abroad for half of my human life. Again, the land line and mobile phone – no problem for me. But it is not that way for every foreigner. All countries difficult? Britain (before I was granted citizenship) – no problem with banking, credit card, Belgium – same, Singapore – same, Australia – same. Then again, I’ve never lived in Laos, Myanmar, or Sri Lanka. :smiling_imp: Newbie?[/quote]

Sorry for thinking you’re a newbie! But my point is that every country has it’s own restrictions and weird ways of doing things that we foreigners don’t necessarily understand/appreciate.

I’ve lived in India, Malaysia and Denmark prior to this. India plenty of restrictions but you can pay (read - bribe) your way out of most things. :sunglasses: Malaysia, only pre-paid mobile lines unless you pay a deposit of about USD250 for a post-paid mobile line. Credit card relative to your job/status/company you’re employed with. Denmark, no issues with my phone line but they would only give me a credit card with a credit limit of my monthly salary. So, I don’t find the pain of dealing with regulations here in TW considerably more or less than some of my other experiences in other countries.

[quote=“mlpgd”][quote=“Chewycorns”]

:smiling_imp: I’ve lived abroad for half of my human life. Again, the land line and mobile phone – no problem for me. But it is not that way for every foreigner. All countries difficult? Britain (before I was granted citizenship) – no problem with banking, credit card, Belgium – same, Singapore – same, Australia – same. Then again, I’ve never lived in Laos, Myanmar, or Sri Lanka. :smiling_imp: Newbie?[/quote]

Sorry for thinking you’re a newbie! But my point is that every country has it’s own restrictions and weird ways of doing things that we foreigners don’t necessarily understand/appreciate.

I’ve lived in India, Malaysia and Denmark prior to this. India plenty of restrictions but you can pay (read - bribe) your way out of most things. :sunglasses: Malaysia, only pre-paid mobile lines unless you pay a deposit of about USD250 for a post-paid mobile line. Credit card relative to your job/status/company you’re employed with. Denmark, no issues with my phone line but they would only give me a credit card with a credit limit of my monthly salary. So, I don’t find the pain of dealing with regulations here in TW considerably more or less than some of my other experiences in other countries.[/quote]

You should re-read this thread in its entirety – I was referring to the treatment of Thai workers and about the VP referring to them as brothers and sisters. :unamused:

BTW, even if you are making a high salary, have more than one million NTs in the bank in your own name, and other investments etc. many banks will still not grant you a credit card without a co-signer. They will simply refuse. And the government wants to turn this into a technology corridor. :notworthy: :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
BTW, even if you are making a high salary, have more than one million NTs in the bank in your own name, and other investments etc. many banks will still not grant you a credit card without a co-signer. They will simply refuse. And the government wants to turn this into a technology corridor. :notworthy: :smiling_imp:[/quote]

And ten years ago the government was bleating on about turning Taiwan into the “Asia-Pacific Regional Operations Center”… :unamused: Nobody (and I mean [i]nobody[/i] came because even though the AMCHAM and ECCT tried to help, it was all talk. As usual. :unamused:

“They also demanded that they be allowed to use mobile phones in dormitories…”

I think it’s actually worse than what people are talking about. I don’t think it’s a question about whether or not they can get a cell phone. I think the issue is that even if they are able to jump through the required hoops to get one, they’re not allowed to use it in their dorm. Or maye I’m in left field?

[quote=“thebiggestnose”]“They also demanded that they be allowed to use mobile phones in dormitories…”

I think it’s actually worse than what people are talking about. I don’t think it’s a question about whether or not they can get a cell phone. I think the issue is that even if they are able to jump through the required hoops to get one, they’re not allowed to use it in their dorm. Or maye I’m in left field?[/quote]

You got it. No handphones. That’s fairly typical. I used to work with one of the workers rights NGOs here and you won’t believe some of the crap pulled by the local employers/recruiters. One of the first things employers normally do here is to confiscate the workers passports. Hard to get a handphone or do much else here without a passport, isn’t it?

[quote=“seeker4”][quote=“zhujianlun”]He’s trying to play to his own constituency

[i]Meanwhile, Premier Frank Hsieh yesterday expressed his recognition of the performances of Chen Chu as chairman of the Council of Labor Affairs, trying to ease Chen’s intention of quitting her current position.

Cho Jung-tai, spokesman of the Cabinet, told reporters that Hsieh has been quite satisfied with Chen’s efforts and performances in handling the new retirement pension system and settling the Thai labor riot event. [/i]

chinapost.com.tw/i_latestdetail.asp?id=30230

He is trying to deflect a current human rights incident (Thai workers) by pointing to another example of a human rights violation (the excusion of foreigners in pension schemes – even ARC through marriage and PARC holders).

And this gent thinks he can compete with Ma in 2008? :smiling_imp:

Back on topic. Excellent editorial in today’s TT.

Thai riot should be a wake-up call

They must not be exploited, and their treatment should be made more humane. Past riots among foreign laborers were also caused by employers’ poor management, flying in the face of humane treatment. The government should try to improve this situation, or Taiwan’s international reputation may be tarnished

In a few short years, Taiwan has gone from having a prosperous economy driving a democratic revolution, to today’s situation, in which the condition of the economy and politics gives one cause to shake one’s head and sigh. Is this all an omen that Taiwan is set to become another Philippines in the future? Again, the government, the opposition and the people of Taiwan would do well to give this some thought.

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003269493

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Back on topic. Excellent editorial in today’s TT.

Thai riot should be a wake-up call

They must not be exploited, and their treatment should be made more humane. Past riots among foreign laborers were also caused by employers’ poor management, flying in the face of humane treatment. The government should try to improve this situation, or Taiwan’s international reputation may be tarnished

In a few short years, Taiwan has gone from having a prosperous economy driving a democratic revolution, to today’s situation, in which the condition of the economy and politics gives one cause to shake one’s head and sigh. Is this all an omen that Taiwan is set to become another Philippines in the future? Again, the government, the opposition and the people of Taiwan would do well to give this some thought.

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003269493[/quote]

Great editorial. Just read this on China Post. Seriously wonder if anyone’s gonna face the wrath/aftermath of this all or it’s just gonna all die away slowly to be forgotten by everyone.

chinapost.com.tw/i_latestdetail.asp?id=30249