Workers in MRT project go nuts

I expect to read Hobart’s rebuttal in the TT coming soon. :wink:

Sorry, but I have very dilligently not read the entire thread.

However, What DB has said here is a major problem for the domestic/blue collar foreign workers here in Taiwan.

The conditions for the Thai workers in Gaoxiong is (hopefully was) deplorable. However, there are “slaves” all over the island, both in factories and private homes.

One of the contributing factors is that when they arrive at the airport, their employer forces them (or maybe it is their broker - the two work pretty close together to the detriment of the worker) to sign a new contract, which negates the one they signed back home. This second contract usually forgoes any days off and requires them to work overtime. this means that they are often working 10 - 12 hour days.

NOW would be a really good time to jump on the bandwagon and bring this abuse of human rights to light.

Does anyone know who can be written to? (e.g. Govt. Departments; Human Rights groups; newspapers, etc. - Address would be helpful)

Would others also be willing to write to these people? The larger the shout the more likely something will be done about it!

Of course I hope that they improve amany things for the foreign workers here in Taiwan, but this one might remain hidden under the carpet. Now would be a really good time to air it.

Your letter could help to make the lives of about 265,00 individuals better off. (Thailand has the largest contingent of foreign workers in Taiwan with 94,742, followed closely by workers from the Philippines (85,024) and Vietnam (82,491).)

Interesting page three in the Taipei Times today – a whole page dedicated to the problem of labor abuse. Glad to see that the widespread problem is being given some attention. The articles even gave a penalty price list. For using mobile phones – 3000NT. For riding a bike – 3000NT :astonished: I wonder how much they were penalized for taking longer in the toilet than they should have.

This is bloody disgraceful. Do I expect the DPP government to do anything about it? No. There is one set of laws for them, one for us. The government used and abused me with my contract as well, and I have elite qualifications, two first-world passports, and a big mouth (meaning I will always stand up for my rights :smiling_imp: ) Nasty government!!! I just wish the workers in Kaoishung could sue, sue, sue.

Exactly, all the more reason to elect the KMT back into power the next election period.

I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to vote out a government that has improve the quality of life for aboriginals, native taiwanese and even the elitist pan-Blues. :loco:

This is how I see the matter
scottsommers.blogs.com/taiwanweb … nt-8927710

Interesting opinions, but the facts show otherwise. Taiwanese standard of living have been improved to such a level under the stewardship of the KMT, that they no longer wish to take on low skill jobs.

Exactly, the Taiwanese are crazy. But the KMT will forgive them once they get back into power. They will not be vindictive with their authority, unlike CSB using his office to exact personal revenge on various people on Taiwan.

Exactly, all the more reason to elect the KMT back into power the next election period.[/quote]

That presupposes that the KMT would actually do any better, a supposition that in my opinion is not valid.

What does standard of living have to do with the majority of taiwanese feeling that manual labour under the sun is beneath them and refuse to do it. Why does Taiwan currently have almost 5% unemployment but still have the need for foreign labourers? Also remeber, it is not that many years ago when the tables were reveresed and it was taiwanese going abroad for manual work. Anyway, most Taiwanese view nationals from other SE Asain countries unless chinese in ethnicity as 2nd/3rd class, and treat them accordingly.

I don’t see the pan-Greens laying down the ground works for the next economic miracle to occur on Taiwan. Most experts feel Taiwan current policies towards the PRC are its biggest obstacles towards economic development.

That’s just human nature. People feel entitled once they believe they reached a certain “level.” If you find the situation on Taiwan odd, you should study Chinese immigration patterned and behavior in Australia, USA, and Canada. In those places Chinese feel entitled to piss on the latest group of Chinese that arrive 5 minutes after them.

If you haven’t notice it is also this pride that prevents most Taiwanese to accept the fact PRC is outpacing them on every aspect of development and will overtake them in the next few years.

Absolute nonsense. It never ceases to amaze me when I hear educated Asians spout such crap. It’s almost as though there is a feeling of embarrassment from seeing one’s ‘countryman and women’ out there doing ‘that kind of work’. It’s the continued existance of such beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence that creates and justifies the terrible working conditions like those in Kaohsiung. Manual labour exists in the USA, Canada, Europe, and everywhere else in the world.

And Taiwanese standard of living also improved under the Japanese and they still took those low skill jobs.

What is your point?

It is a fact of life, once an individual feels they achieved a certain “position” in life, it is very rare for them to exhibit behavior that would undermine that position.

Do you think Bill Gates steps through each line of code to debug his software anymore?

Same with the Taiwanese on Taiwan, why should that do something “beneath” them if they can afford not to.

Enough of your theory of human nature. As I said, nonesense. Have you ever talked to anyone who has done manual labour? Do you have any numbers to support what you’re saying? While it is clear now what you think people should be like, I think it’s time that you actually produce some reason to believe that they are that way.

No, they no longer have to do manual labor that was forced on them by the Blues thanks to pan-Green reform.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2005/08/29/2003269588

Just read the article … where are we? Back in a Japanese labor camp during WWII?

Disgusting … :fume:

Exactly, another reason to vote pan-Blue if you’re in the Deep South of Taiwan.

Up North, we’ll take out a high-ranking political officer for raping a Filipino maid, even if she claims she wasn

[quote]Exactly, another reason to vote pan-Blue if you’re in the Deep South of Taiwan.
[/quote]

It’s ludicrous to expect that the KMT would improve the situation. Things were just the same when they were in power.

Brian

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2005/08/30/2003269693

Why would they only look into the problems with Thai workers, the problems are all over the place.

Moderator’s Note: Please keep the discussion on topic.