Workers' rights: theory vs. practice

Oh they do horrible stuff to Taiwanese all the time. They actually treat white foreigners better than Taiwanese most the time.

It’s almost an open secret that Labor Standard Act is merely a suggestion…

2 Likes

:rofl:

No it isn’t. I’ve used the Labor Standards Act.

2 Likes

I guess you are more litigatious than the average Taiwanese… but most just don’t do much because the government will do little to help, and you have to sue, and when you’re working a bunch of overtime do you really have time to go to court, using your small amount of vacation days to do so?

Employers here knows what they are doing.

See. Basically all this is wrong.

One. I’ve only ever had to take action against one boss. I started with arbitration. I brought my proof. The government merely suggested he pay me my sick leave and severance for unlawful dismissal.

Secondly…

Wait till you’re out of the job. Then you have time.

It’s not necessary to present every situation as unsurmountable and then say it’s hopeless. Very very easy solutions.

5 Likes

Or they see you’re a white foreigner, who tends to take legal action more than the average Taiwanese, so they don’t mistreat you as much.

Employers mistreating their workers is always the one thing Taiwanese talk about all the time, as well as expressing that they are powerless to change anything because they have the power.

Dude, I sued the guy. The government told him pay up or court will be more expensive. Are you seriously telling me that my boss did not mistreat me? How do you think I go to the point where I was in the middle of Banciao trying to figure out what to do?

I got 10x the mistreatment the Taiwanese coworker got. At one point he went to the police to try to get me deported. You want to see the videos of verbal abuse I recorded?

3 Likes

I imagine you must have received a handsome payment from the defamation lawsuit you filed.

When in Rome . . . :grin:

Guy

1 Like

That’s not the defamation suit. That’s the unlawful dismissal.

Dude. the defamation suit is not a profitable venture.

With all that video you had, I thought you’d have also gone the defamation route.

Still, regardless of the money, this sounds like a deeply unfun process.

Guy

I mean the employer who does not give sick days, or makes the employee work excessive overtime with no extra pay. Stories like this are a dime a dozen and few Taiwanese will quit just so they can demand their overtime pay… They know how to squeeze every ounce of juice out of you, but just enough so you wouldn’t quit just so you can sue.

2 Likes

It never occurred to me back then. That experience is what hardened me. I had never once considered legal action against anyone in my life until I met that guy. But after being screwed over by incompetent bank employees and this guy, I hardened myself.

7 Likes

This is not true and the attitude is not going to help.

You need to be your biggest defender. If you can’t do it, then start looking. When you leave, that’s when you take action.

2 Likes

But at the same time, you won’t have much career progression if you do that…

Again. Not a problem. I actually admitted to my current boss that I sued the last one.

Similarly. You sue after the new job. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Yeah.

2 Likes

That’s rhetorical. I’m not going to do that.

I’ve also had this happen to me twice.

Nothing ever came of it

2 Likes

Yeah. Thank god the cops can see through the BS.

My old old old boss also claimed to have connections with NIA and could get any foreigner deported. Well, he wasn’t able to get me deported

4 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Enough Will Smith jokes already :yawning_face: