Working Holiday Jobs?

Hi

I’m a Uk Citizen, living in the UK, and my girlfriend is Taiwanese, living in Taiwan. I am looking at applying for one of the new Working holiday visas so i could go to Taiwan for a year to live and work, to experience Taiwan over a longer period than i have done before (i’ve visisted twice for 3 weeks each)

The problem is that i really dont want to teach English and i’m having a hard time finding any other jobs available, certainly not for a short period as the Visa would only last a year.

I also do not have a degree, but have 6 years working experience in the IT Industry on support, infrastructure, etc, and this is really where my skillset is

Any idea what sort of job i would be able to find, if anything at all? I would be able to save enough money working in the UK to last me a year in Taiwan, but i would rather work to suppliment it

Thanks in advance

[quote=“stickyfingers85”]
I also do not have a degree…[/quote]

I hate to say this…really hate to say this to a :newbie: but…forgive me: don’t bother coming here.

No degree = no dice.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”][quote=“stickyfingers85”]
I also do not have a degree…[/quote]

I hate to say this…really hate to say this to a :newbie: but…forgive me: don’t bother coming here.

No degree = no dice.[/quote]
I believe the working holiday visa has an entirely different set of regulations and is aimed specifically at undergrads. Dunno what kind of jobs they offer, though. By far the most common is teaching English in remote areas where they find it difficult to attract normal staff, so that might be a problem if your girlfriend isn’t living in the area to which you are posted. Some of the schools in which they place working holiday people are many hours of inconvenient travel from Taipei, so you probably would see very little of her during your time here.

[quote=“sandman”]
I believe the working holiday visa has an entirely different set of regulations and is aimed specifically at undergrads.[/quote]

Well, he did mentioned that he has 6 years of IT experience so I’m assuming that he’s not an undergrad.

Of course I could be wrong but I like my chances.

[quote=“PigBloodCake”][quote=“sandman”]
I believe the working holiday visa has an entirely different set of regulations and is aimed specifically at undergrads.[/quote]

Well, he did mentioned that he has 6 years of IT experience so I’m assuming that he’s not an undergrad.

Of course I could be wrong but I like my chances.[/quote]
I was talking purely about your contention that you need a degree. You don’t. I dunno what the actual upper age limit is, but I seem to remember that you have to be under 26 or something like that. Its aimed specifically at undergrads but is is not limited to them.

Thanks for the replies

You dont need a degree to get the working holiday Visa, just be between 18 and 31, have a certain amount of funds available, and be from a short list of countries

Really i’m just trying to find out what kind of jobs i would find for the year i’m there.

[quote=“stickyfingers85”]Thanks for the replies

You dont need a degree to get the working holiday Visa, just be between 18 and 31, have a certain amount of funds available, and be from a short list of countries

Really I’m just trying to find out what kind of jobs I would find for the year I’m there.[/quote]

I didn’t know they offered working holiday to Taiwan - do you have a link of more information, I’d be especially interested to know if you can get an ARC with that?

[quote=“stickyfingers85”]Thanks for the replies

Really I’m just trying to find out what kind of jobs I would find for the year I’m there.[/quote]

Honestly, they used to have to deliberately create the jobs for the WH visa holders. Things like driving the little train around the zoo and stuff. They seemed to give that up a few years after they started (the website’s still there though) and now most WH visa holders come here on the visa, find a job and do a visa run to change to a work visa.

Do you speak Chinese? If you speak Chinese you can do pretty much any job you want. If you don’t, you’re either going to end up teaching or doing IT (God knows where, but if you try hard enough I’m SURE you can get an IT job). If you could set up some sort of remote IT business that you can manage online you’d be pretty set, since the cost of living here is so much lower than the UK.

monokuro, a friend of mine did WH and I don’t think she was able to get an ARC. I remember she had to do a visa run.

Information is hard to come by as the Visa was only introduced 1st Jan 2012 for both Taiwanese visiting UK and the other way around

You do get an ARC, in fact its part of the Visa rule that you apply to get one within 15 days of arrive in Taiwan

I believe a max of 1000 Taiwanese can get the visa each year to visit UK, but i am not sure if there is a restriction on the number of British Citizens visiting the Taiwan

taiwanembassy.org/ct.asp?xIt … 32&xp1=132

I dont speak Chinese, no. However as part of my year there im going to attend a language school to get some lessons. I guess i’ll just have to hunt around for a any kind of job when i arrive

Thanks again for the help

I think one of the problems you’ll have here with a WH visa is that most companies won’t have any idea of what it is or the requirements. I arrived in Taiwan a little while back on a WH visa and a lot of places had never heard of it and always asked me “is this a legal visa?”.

[quote=“stickyfingers85”]Information is hard to come by as the Visa was only introduced 1st Jan 2012 for both Taiwanese visiting UK and the other way around

You do get an ARC, in fact its part of the Visa rule that you apply to get one within 15 days of arrive in Taiwan

I believe a max of 1000 Taiwanese can get the visa each year to visit UK, but I am not sure if there is a restriction on the number of British Citizens visiting the Taiwan

taiwanembassy.org/ct.asp?xIt … 32&xp1=132
[/quote]

Curses - I turned 31 on the 22nd of Jan - wish they had publicised it a bit more, I’d have snapped that up!

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003529322

This article in the Taipei Times today mentions how the Working Holiday Visa Program is not, well, working very well. All the quota for Taiwanese youth to work abroad are met quickly, but the number of foreign youth coming to Taiwan is minimal. No short term jobs available for foreign workers sums it up.

I had never even heard about this program, never seen it advertised in magazines, in schools in Canada, etc.

[quote=“914”]http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/04/02/2003529322

This article in the Taipei Times today mentions how the Working Holiday Visa Program is not, well, working very well. All the quota for Taiwanese youth to work abroad are met quickly, but the number of foreign youth coming to Taiwan is minimal. No short term jobs available for foreign workers sums it up.

I had never even heard about this program, never seen it advertised in magazines, in schools in Canada, etc.[/quote]

They did quite a bit of advertising in Australia the first year. They also have a really good website which stopped being updated after the second year.

You know what they could do? A youth hostel workers’ programme. Open up a bunch of decent hostels/accommodations all around Taiwan (in weird, out of the way spots too) and only hire working holiday makers. Cap the quota at like, double the amount of people you’d need to hire to ensure all the spots were filled or something.

[quote=“914”]http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/04/02/2003529322

I had never even heard about this program, never seen it advertised in magazines, in schools in Canada, etc.[/quote]

I am guessing at 100nt an hour, who would come and work here? You can get 6 times that working abroad. It’s hard work but the reward is there…

Only ones who will come here is those who have an interest in Asia.

But according to the TT article, that there are no farms or orchids to work at… I call that BS. Almost all fruits except for Apples and Oranges are grown in Taiwan and somebody has to tend to those. The problem is nobody in Taiwan even knows that people can come here on a working holiday visa so they don’t do anything about it. Hell I didn’t even know that people can come to Taiwan on a working holiday visa.