Working holiday visa expires on the 13th. HK visa run questions

The time is drawing near, and I’m getting anxious! Please don’t have a go at me for making this thread :slight_smile: I know the information is probably all over the forum if I dig around enough, and I have been, but there are just bits here and there and I just really want to make sure.

• my visa expires on the 13th. Do I leave TW on the 13th? or on the 12th? I will just be staying in the Airport in HK till I can come back in. (Broke at the moment) I just worry If I come back in on the 13th It will just be like having a one day holiday and my visa is still ‘valid’ till the 14th.

• My current employer is going to hire me on a work visa as soon as I return to Taiwan, It’s not a teaching job. What visa is it I need to apply for when flying back to Taiwan? Which visa can I ‘upgrade’ to a work visa? This confuses/worries the hell out of me. I can’t afford to fly back to HK to get the ARC (or something to this nature?). A friend told me this is what I have to do to get a work visa, I really don’t understand this part, any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

-What documentation will I need to take with me for coming back to TW?

p.s I have a british passport if this changes anything.

Many thanks in advance.

argh, wrong section, my bad.

Not so sure bout the working holiday visa. But your current visa should expire when you leave Taiwan. Look on your visa, does it say Multiple Entry or Single Entry? A Multiple Entry visa should have an expiration date and a period of stay each entry. Say your Multiple Visa is valid until 13 June, 2014 and it has a period of stay of sixty days. That means that you can enter until 13 June and stay for sixty days from that day.

Most people have a Single Entry visa. Which means the moment you leave your visa expires.

UK passport holders can just walk into Taiwan with a Visa Free of 90 days (extendable one time for another 90 days) . The extension may be a bit hard to get and you probably will get it only once. But you can always go out before the 90 days and come right back in, even in the same day for a RESET and another 90 days. AS long as you don’t overstay.

This Visa Free entry is changeable to another visa for WHITE COLLAR jobs, without you having to leave again.
Looks like your best bet is to leave NO LATER THEN your visa expiry date. Not even one day late. I’d leave by the 12th in your case.

And then you can just fly back in and get Visa Free 90 days. Then the company hiring you should be able to get you an job based ARC without you leaving again.

You could truck over to the Visa place and ask them for the straight dope though.

boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=496 … e=783&mp=2

On further reading. Do you have a one year ARC? With a re-entry permit? In that case you should not return while that re-entry permit is still valid. IN other words if it is valid until the 13th you should return on the 14th and get in on a Visa Free for 90 days looks like.

More info:

Notes for Working Holiday Visa Holders

Validity of Visa
The visa is valid for a period of 12 months. Visa holders may enter Taiwan from the date of issue until the date of expiry of the visa.
Duration of Stay
The initial duration of stay shall be 180 days, which may be extended while the visa is still valid. Application for extensions shall be made to the National Immigration Agency service center in the city or county where the working holiday maker stays 15 days prior to the initial duration of stay expires. The total duration of stay will be no more than one year from the date of entry into Taiwan.
Entries
Working holiday makers shall be issued multiple entry visas, which allow for multiple entries to and exit from the Republic of China during the validity of the visa.
Activities after Entrance
(1)Work permit not needed
As long as in accordance with the purpose of entry, working holiday makers may work legally during their stay in the Republic of China to earn their living expenses. However, they should not work for the same employer for more than 3 months (The working holiday visa holders from Korea, Japan, Canada and the U.K. are exempt from this limitation; visa holders from Australia should not work for more than 6 months.) In accordance with Article 4 of “Regulations Governing the Permits for Employing Foreigners and Management”, working holiday visas issued by the ROC Embassy, Consulate and overseas missions shall be regarded as work permits. Therefore, visa holders do not need to apply for a work permit with the Council of Labor Affairs of the Executive Yuan. However, those who engage in professional or technical work shall meet the necessary qualification and laws of registration for practice required by the Republic of China. In addition, visa holders should not work for longer than the validity of the visa. For more information on related employment regulations, please log on to the website of the Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training of the Council of Labor Affairs of the Executive Yuan:
evta.gov.tw/eng/home/index.asp
(2)Study Time Limit
As the main purpose of working holiday makers is not full-time studies, applicants cannot undertake any formal courses other than Chinese language courses in Taiwan of no more than 3 months duration. The language centers of Universities recognized by the Ministry of Education shall be based on the latest list announced by the Ministry of Education. The working holiday visa holders from Australia may enroll in any training or study course up to four months duation during the course of their visit to Taiwan. Please browse the website of ministry of find this information: english.moe.gov.tw/mp.asp?mp=1
(3)As for tax payment related to employment, please refer to the website of the National Tax Administration of Northern Taiwan Province, Ministry of Finance :http://www.ntx.gov.tw/English/EnglishIndex.aspx
(4)Information for foreigners, please browse:http://www.immigration.gov.tw/mp.asp?mp=2
Date:2013/8/30

Really appreciate the post man. It is a white collar job. And yes, the visa lets me leave and come back, so I guess I can’t come back till it’s expired then.

When i come back on visa free. And my job applies for my new visa, will my visa then be single entry? And i’ll not be able to leave taiwan at all? I have to travel to China/Europe quite a bit with my job… This is a worry.

Where is the visa place again? Excuse the ignorance I’m really just. Not with it at all.

I used to know where the visa place was but i think its been changed. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

When your job gets you an ARC, it comes also with a re-entry permit I believe. So you can come and go with that.

You won’t be using a visa then.

In fact many with ARC sign up for that express lane at the airport that you can just breeze right back in.

Ah, I’ve got you.

can someone pretty please let me know where the visa place is? only have 9 days now and haven’t even bought a plane ticket yet. not sure if I can leave the day my visa expires or not :s

Curious if Brits need a visa at all to get back in, or just need a passport? Sure some local Brits will know, or check with Immigration on that. For US citizens/passports you can come in for 30 days, no visa, as often as you want, just need the passport. If you get your ARC before the stay time expires, OK, otherwise, another trip to HK. Once you get approval for the ARC you do not have to leave (ARC takes another 10 days).

iff.immigration.gov.tw/lp.asp?ct … DSD=7&mp=2

travel.stackexchange.com/questio … rification

boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=144 … e=536&mp=2

Google is your friend.

Personally if I were you , I would leave one day before and not come back in until one day after the ARC expired just to be safe.

Do not know where immigration is for Taipei (I am in Taichung), go online, that is how I found the 2 in Taichung area. Yes you can leave on the 13th and should return on the 14th or later. May screw up immigration if you arrive back on the 13th.

Really appreciate all the help guys! I’m sorted and my ticket is booked for the 13th, mods feel free to move this to the right section you lazy gits! :wink: :notworthy:

Recently the law changed to allow US passport holders to stay for 90 days.
boca.gov.tw/content?mp=2&CuItem=1443

Edit: i sorted it nvm

Just to confirm, as I have never done this.

I have a student visa(ARC)and plan to leave and return on a visa free.

So I basically have to leave before it expires, then return after it has expired? If I return before it is expired I wont get the visa free because it has not expired yet and is multiple entry?