Working holiday visa for native English speaker

Hi,

I’m wondering what the job prospects are like in Taiwan for someone with a working holiday visa?

I’m a native English speaker with a Masters degree and a CELTA and some teaching experience. I don’t speak Taiwanese.

I’m trying to get to Taiwan for personal reasons. It’s hard to get teaching jobs from home right now and a working holiday might be one option for me but I’ve heard it’s limiting. I have English teaching experience but I’d be happy to do any sort of work.

Thanks!

With a masters degree and a CELTA cert you will be in the top one percent of English teachers in terms of qualifications. You will have no problem finding a job as long as you come across as relatively normal when you interview. Don’t accept anything less than NT$800 p/h.

Taiwanese is mostly spoken by the older generation and people in the countryside. Official language of Taiwan is Mandarin. You won’t need to be able to speak it to get a job, but you should learn a bit for survival.

If you have family (even a girlfriend) that is in Taiwan and for some reason needs you, you should be able to get a special entry COVID-19 visa to come to Taiwan. You can then change this to a work ARC after you find a job and sort out the paperwork. You may struggle to convert a working holiday visa to a work ARC in country.

I know people who have found jobs with a working holiday visa, but I have heard employers don’t really like them as they indicate you won’t be there for very long.

1 Like

I think the problem the OP is having is getting to Taiwan.