Working in the FET program as a Taiwanese dual citizen

I am currently in the FET program using an APRC.

I am planning to become a citizen later this year and then get my household registration even later…

I will renounce my Australian citizenship but retain my other citizenships (so I will still qualify.)

However… I noticed a clause in the contract - https://tfetp.epa.ntnu.edu.tw/packages/tfetp/web/files/english_teacher/112/(1)%20112學年度外師聘僱契約範本.pdf

2.2. Employment/Pay Start Date means the day after Party B has acquired the Work
Permit issued by the Ministry of Education (MOE), or the Alien Permanent
Resident Certificate (APRC) or Alien Resident Certificate (purpose of residence:
dependent) issued by the Immigration Agency; completed the entry quarantine
procedures required by the Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (Taiwan CDC),
Ministry of Health and Welfare (MOHW); and completed the check-in procedure
at Party A’s education and training location or other destinations designated by
Party A. Unless Party A otherwise agrees in writing, Party B’s Term of
Employment shall commerce on (hereinafter called the “Employment
Start Date”) and end on
(hereinafter called the “Employment End Date”).

1.3 says:

Party B should be the citizen of a country where the official language or common
language is English, and meet the qualifications listed in “Regulations Governing
Educational Institutions at All Levels Applying for Work Permits for Foreign
Teachers and their Administration”, before he/she starts working as a foreign
English teacher as agreed by both parties in this contract.

So I am wondering is there anyone with a TARC or household registration who is a dual national in the FET program?

Also what about the flights etc?? a forumosa member on a different forum mentioned about the flights being given to a teacher who was using an ID card and household registration. But nothing was verified.

I note this on their website too: Eligibility - Join TFETP - Taiwan Foreign English Teacher Program

I’ve heard of an American citizen who gave up his U.S. passport in favor of obtaining Taiwanese citizenship, but he encountered challenges being recognized as a foreign teacher. It struck me as one of the most absurd and paradoxical news.

I also know someone who is Taiwanese but holds an American passport and works in a program as a foreign teacher… :thinking:

1 Like

Or you know an American with a Taiwanese passport lol.

1 Like

Well, just mentioned it since OP was talking about the passport. He’s a friend of mine and a great guy. He laments this rule since I’m directly affected by it.

You’re a friend of the OP? Dang. lol

You mean he was born a Taiwanese and got an American passport?

That sucks… but I would guess that would happen. Luckily for me I have other citizenships though… Also I will get the Australian one back too.

1 Like

You will certainly also have other job opportunities! Is that such a sweet gig?

5 classes a week (I do spend a lot of time doing preparation though as I am leading the schools bilingual program)

Flexibility on my working schedule with the trust to work from home when I need to.

90k+ salary plus flights and bonus

It’s pretty sweet compared to what many private schools offer and less workload.

1 Like

That would suck, I can easily see it being an issue. Hopefully common sense will prevail, do you have to reapply every period with full documentation?

need to provide accurate residency information for insurances.

Nice. That’s international school level salary. At least here in Kaohsiung.

Well, it’s entry-level international school level salary, but still. Not bad at all.

1 Like