Working on a Dependent ARC

Is it possible for my wife to find a job while she is here on a dependant ARC (not the kind for Taiwanese spouses of Taiwanese Citizens)? She’s getting kinda bored and I’m trying to find something for her to do. I want to do this legally, no shenanigans.

I am in Taiwan on a work visa. My wife is here on a dependant visa tied to my ARC and she has her own ARC. I know she has no work rights in Taiwan, but if someone would give her a job, would it be legal for her to work after getting a work permit (even is temporary) without changing her dependent status (because she would stay after any work is done).

I’m on a dependent visa and asked this question of my husband’s accountant. The answer is no. Your wife would have to be offered a job, apply for a working visa, then reapply for a dependent’s visa once the job finished. There are also tight restrictions on voluntary work, so be careful.

Thanks. Do you know if she would have to leave Taiwan or could she apply in Taiwan for the dependent ARC again? The law firm that my company used said she could go to school on a dependent ARC. I wonder why the two are different.

He didn’t say I’d have to leave Taiwan. Maybe you’d have to apply for the dependent ARC before the working one ran out to avoid having to leave the country? Sorry, I don’t know. Nor the answer to your other question, but presumably going to school doesn’t potentially take a job from a Taiwanese person.

When the school applies for your ARC, they can apply for hers too. You both may need to be on visitors visas when that happens (word on the street is thats the case) but if she arrives on a visitor visa, yall apply for your arc’s before the visa runs out, theres no need to leave the country (source: my experience in 2011)