Workshop ripping me off?

Every time I take my car in to get a problem fixed, it comes out with a different one! :fume:

I always go to the Opel garage. Last time it was for a new starter motor, and after I got it back, I realised the air-con had stopped (perfect before, and overhauled last summer).

What would you do? Usually they ignore the logic and charge me to fix the problem THEY CAUSED anyway. :frowning:

Your first mistake is driving an Opel to begin withā€¦ :wink:

Really only a couple of possibilitiesā€¦First, they may have disconnected something in the A/C system to get at the starter. Second and more likely, some other part of your A/C system has really expired.

If you are worried that your shop is ripping you off, then take it to another shop for an evaluation. I donā€™t really see this as being a realistic possibiltiy, as getting caught at tampering would spell the end of their business.

Can you describe what your A/C is doing or not doing in more detail? It may be something as simple as a freon leak or a faulty wire. You also said you had your A/C fixed last summerā€¦What did you have done exactly?

Thanks, MJB.

Yeah, next time itā€™s a Nissan! :s

I guess youā€™re right about the Opel garage, but other mechanics have told me they;re well-known for such practices. I used to go to the one in town; now Iā€™m trying the Xindian one.

The air-con was fine. Now, itā€™s completely dead - only the fan is working. Basically, thereā€™s no cooled air coming out, and the part of the car below my radio that normally gets cold when the air-con is on (I know NOTHING about cars, obviously) is not cold any more, so I donā€™t think itā€™s a blockage. A loose wire sounds like the most likely reason to me.

Last summer, I had EVERYTHING done to the air-con by many mecahnics, before the Opel garage finally cleared the blockage that was the real cause of the problem. It was cheap and successful.

MJB, any advice you can offer is much appreciated. Iā€™ve spent fortunes on this thing, but canā€™t afford to let it go.

Thanks again. :notworthy:

Kind regards,

Sean

Sean,
ā€œAuto Repairā€ hardly exists in Taiwan. Usually they will simply replace parts (This goes for scooters and motorcycles too.) So the term ā€œParts Replacementā€ would be more appropriate. Most mechanics cannot repair enginesā€“next time ask if they have second hand parts available.

Get a second opinion on your AC before you take it back to the original shop and always ask to see the old part they have replaced (even if you donā€™t know what it is) and ask to see where it has been worn or damaged.

Hope this helps.

Yā€™know, an Opel is not a very complicated car which needs specialized equipment to diagnose, nor are parts hard to come by outside of the dealer channel. Itā€™s just a GM.
Take it another garage, a non-GM one that has some recommendations.

Maybe not a good idea. Thereā€™s a Forumosa poster who also drives an Opel who had a lot of similar grief to yours from the Xindian Opel place.

You can check a few things before even going to the shopā€¦

First, start up your car and then turn on the A/C. You should hear a slight click and the cars idle should change slightly. If this happens then you know that the compressor is still functioning and that the problem lies elsewhere. If you donā€™t hear anything or the idle speed remains unchanged than the compressor itself isnā€™t turning on. Either symptom could be something really minor.

I had this happen to me (of course during vacation) while driving through the fog/heavy rain over the top of the Southern Cross Island highway. Simple as a faulty wiring harness. Also, Iā€™d just had the truck out of the shop to replace the evaporator only 3 days before. It happens.

Finding a decent mechanic is probably one of the most frustrating aspects of living here. Donā€™t be afraid to jump ship and get a second opinion.

How old is the car?

Iā€™ve been going to the same mechanic for the last two years and he has always treated me well.

Meaning:

• Reasonable price for parts and labour.
  • Perseverance in fixing a problem that took 2 trips to his shop. Granted that he should have found the problem at first. A Taiwanese friend gave me a car (Nissan Telstar,14 years old). It was fine for the first month, but then would suddenly start to splutter and stop for no reason. After the first and second trip to his shop it died on the way home. He was always willing to fetch the car where it stalled and take it to the shop straight away. After the second breakdown they realized the petrol filter (gasfilter) was full of rust from a rusting gastank. The problem was solved by installing a second hand gastank.
  • Always tries to use second hand or reconditioned parts where possible.
  • Willing to pick up and deliver my car from my house (Xin Dien) even though his shop is at the end of Chung Hsiao East road (next to Kunyang MRT station).

Iā€™ll post his details if anyone is interested.

You might want to make sure the fan belt is there. If you hear the click, and then the engine slows itā€™s idle a bit it still might not be pumping the goods. The belt could also be slipping.

I think itā€™s best to change dudes once in a while anyway. You donā€™t know a good mechanic until youā€™ve had a couple bad ones.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Iā€™ll check them all out.

MJB, the car is about 7 or 8 years old.

Have a good weekend, all (hope itā€™s not too hot :s )

[quote=ā€œStray Dogā€]Many thanks for the suggestions. Iā€™ll check them all out.

MJB, the car is about 7 or 8 years old.

Have a good weekend, all (hope itā€™s not too hot :s )[/quote]

I donā€™t think youā€™re going to have to worry about heat, but you might want to pick up some of that anti-fogging window sprayā€¦

God, this weather is horribleā€¦6 days ago I was swimming on the beach in Kenting in 85 degree weatherā€¦ :frowning: